•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

asiair pro, eq6r pro, ipad/iphone cx problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gatehealing

gatehealing

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:54 PM

Everything *looks* connected per asiair app. I can sync to mount, I can see the cameras, etc. I speed up slew speed to max so I can see if it's working. Buttons do not work. But I can sync to mount successfully. So it SEES the mount, and can apparently connect to it, but the slew buttons don't work.  Tried Hand Controller, and buttons work fine.

This seems to fix itself when I go thru a few different orders of shutting down/powering back up. Not sure if it's the mount re-start, the asiair restart, renew-lease on iphone/ipad that is fixing it. I've tried different orders, and different ones fix it . . . so I don't think it's the order of things.

????????

JOn

#2 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:18 PM

Are you powering the mount separately or through the ASIAIR? I find I must power my EQ6R Pro separately from the rest. Also, is there a cooler involved? If so, how is it being powered?

#3 gatehealing

gatehealing

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:37 PM

Are you powering the mount separately or through the ASIAIR? I find I must power my EQ6R Pro separately from the rest. Also, is there a cooler involved? If so, how is it being powered?

I am at home now, so the asiair pro is powered via plugging in to wall outlet, and mount is also powered by plugging into wall outlet. In the field, each of them is connected directly to a battery independently.  The LED on the mount is not blinking at all.

In continuing to mess with this, there are times where the Telescope Settings panel is just blank, but I can see the main screen with the arrows and they do not work. There are also times when the Telescope Settings panel is populated and shows the EQMOD mount as connected (and on), but hitting Sync To Mount does not give a Success message, nor a Sync Failed message. But the screen is registering the tap on the button as there's the ripple effect that you see when pressing other buttons like that on ipad. The only other new development was there was one instance where I could press the left/right buttons and they would work fine, but the up/down buttons would not. This seems to be some sort of conflict between the mount and the asiair pro.

Getting more and more frustrating as I have 2 star parties this weekend.

Edited by gatehealing, 28 July 2021 - 09:42 PM.

#4 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:53 PM

Make sure you are not clicking sync to mount within 5 degrees of the NCP. It won’t hurt anything, it just will not work. I’d have to see all your settings to know if it is a settings issue or a hardware problem. I take it you are connecting through the hand controller and not directly to the mount?

#5 gatehealing

gatehealing

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:05 PM

Make sure you are not clicking sync to mount within 5 degrees of the NCP. It won’t hurt anything, it just will not work. I’d have to see all your settings to know if it is a settings issue or a hardware problem. I take it you are connecting through the hand controller and not directly to the mount?

I think I am hitting Sync to Mount sometimes when it's in home position (which is basically aiming towards NCP) just to be sure it's where it should be in case I bumped it while setting up. I tried GoTo Polaris the other day from Home Position the other day and it actually turned the RA 90 degrees (so counterweight bar was horizontal) and slightly adjusted the Dec. I was curious about that one since later, I did the same thing and it slightly moved only the Dec.

Main concern is when only the mount isn't connected to slew arrows but appears to see the mount (I speed up the slew rate so I can actually see it moving); and when it looks connected (green on/off switch is green) but doesn't respond to any button pushes even in Telescope Settings.

#6 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

Yep. Polaris changes position throughout the day and circumscribes a circle about the NCP so the RA axis changes constantly when tracking it.

I assume you have checked or replaced your USB cable to the mount? Are you going through the hand controller? At least you can troubleshoot this one during the day.

#7 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:24 PM

Do you have the new style mount with the USB port on the mount head? If so, are you using a baud rate of 115,200bps? The default is 9600, but that is for the old style mounts with the RJ12 port.

#8 gatehealing

gatehealing

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:04 PM

Do you have the new style mount with the USB port on the mount head? If so, are you using a baud rate of 115,200bps? The default is 9600, but that is for the old style mounts with the RJ12 port.

I am using a EQMOD direct cable from the mount hand controller port to the usb3.0 port on the asiair pro since I do have a post-Feb 2021 eq6r pro where using the usbB cable to usb3.0 (either from handset usbB port with hand controller plugged into its port on head, or straight from the usbB port on the mount head to the asiair pro usb3.0 port. Neither of those works, even if I put the hand controller in PC direct mode.

Used by itself, the hand controller works just fine with none of these issues happening at all. That tells me it is something with the asiair pro communicating with the mount.

It's driving me mad as I never know if I will have control of my rig when I fire everything up or not.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics