•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Telescope - How Good Is Customer Service?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Meterman

Meterman

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Alamogordo, NM, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

Been in and out of amateur astronomy for many years. Last scope was an Orion EQ130. I sold it before I moved out west over fear of breakage during the move.

I've had my eye on the Orion XX12G or XX14G Go-To. Finally pulled the plug and ordered the XX12G (XX14G is $700 more). On the date of order it was expected to ship by September 3rd. A couple days ago it was delayed until September 23rd.

Because I'm beginning to get nervous, I've already received the light shroud, cases, and other items so I checked the website today. The XX12G is listed as no longer available for purchase. After a quick call and long wait on hold I was told they are expecting more to fill outstanding orders but aren't sure when the XX12G will be available for new orders again. To make me more nervous they didn't guarantee my order would be filled. They actually said they'll notify me if they can't fulfill my order.....

How is their customer service and how well do they stand behind their name? I was undecided between the XX12G and XX14G and went with the 12 mainly because of lower weight first and lower price. But what if They can't get me a 12?

I prefer their truss tube design because of stability over other designs. So the choice for me would be to jump up to the XX14G.

If I have to make another choice, Will they take back the XX12G specific accessories without penalty to me?

What would the chances be of asking for and getting a price break on the XX14G? (I'm going to ask for it)

I mean it isn't my fault they offered something to order but can't fulfill but I do have to deal with being in the unknown and possibly return items and go in a different direction including the hassles that comes with.

What are my chances of a satisfactory resolution?

Thoughts and Comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Out in Limbo (Mike)

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Edited by Meterman, 28 July 2021 - 06:18 PM.

#2 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:18 PM

Hello Mike,

Over the years Orion's customer service has been quite good. I would not worry about it. This is just the way things are all over. You will receive your scope. Believe me that XX12G will be worth the wait. I would stay the course.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 28 July 2021 - 07:28 PM.

• helpwanted, ram812 and Meterman like this

#3 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:41 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with Jethro----- I've purchased LOTS of things from them, including an XT12G.  Customer service is top notch!

And, in case you haven't noticed, shortages are worldwide. 

• helpwanted, ram812, Jethro7 and 2 others like this

#4 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:02 PM

My experience has been excellent and prompt.  Ken, himself, even emailed me with some tips.

• helpwanted, ram812, Jethro7 and 2 others like this

#5 ayadai

ayadai

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Mariana Islands, Micronesia

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:08 PM

I've purchased quite a bit from them and have had similar positive experiences. The fact that they ship here, sometimes free, makes them #1 in my list.

Edited by ayadai, 28 July 2021 - 07:09 PM.

• ram812, Jethro7, Gen 1:16 and 1 other like this

#6 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:42 PM

Interesting that its no longer shown on their website to order while all the other are.   Hmmmm....

I've had mostly good experiences with some problematical shipments and equipment, but in the end, everything was resolved, even though I was spending time fixing a problem that shouldn't have ever been delivered.

I would try to get it in writing that it will be delivered.   Anything less could be problematical.   Did they email you that new availability date, or was that verbal?  Good idea to try for a discount on the 14".   

Remember you can return everything within 30 days for a full refund.  Its on their website.  Costs $9.95 per item, but if they can't deliver your scope, then it shouldn't cost you zip.

You would think that the 12" truss is a big seller for them.  Perhaps they're doing a redesign but you'll never hear that from them of course.   

Good luck,

SB

• Meterman likes this

#7 Jarnett51

Jarnett51

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:12 PM

I have ordered a number of scopes and mounts from Orion and have contacted them a number of times with questions. Their Customer Service has always been excellent.

in addition, I ordered an Orion 102mm refractor and the mount was defective, so I returned it and was given a full refund.

I have placed an order for rings and they should be shipped tomorrow.

• ram812 and Meterman like this

#8 Big_Eight

Big_Eight

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:16 PM

I also had a great experience with their customer service. My scope was missing the altitude encoder disk. They sent one right to me no questions asked. They will take care of you just make sure to keep good communication with them.
  • Jarnett51, ram812 and Meterman like this

#9 Meterman

Meterman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:34 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with Jethro----- I've purchased LOTS of things from them, including an XT12G. Customer service is top notch!
And, in case you haven't noticed, shortages are worldwide.

I know there are shipping issues worldwide, and we did talk about that. I do not blame them for shipping delays out of their control. I am concerned that they would still list a product that they are not sure they can fulfill a customer order for.

When I called customer service the rep was surprised to find out it was removed from the site. She put me on hold for quite some time. When she came back she said they are getting 2 shipments in next month containing the XX12G. They are for existing backorders but she didn't say that all backorders would be fulfilled. However, she did say she didn't see any info on future shipments of that scope for orders and doesn't know if/when it may be available again. Just made me really wonder......

Interesting that its no longer shown on their website to order while all the other are. Hmmmm....
I've had mostly good experiences with some problematical shipments and equipment, but in the end, everything was resolved, even though I was spending time fixing a problem that shouldn't have ever been delivered.
I would try to get it in writing that it will be delivered. Anything less could be problematical. Did they email you that new availability date, or was that verbal? Good idea to try for a discount on the 14".
Remember you can return everything within 30 days for a full refund. Its on their website. Costs $9.95 per item, but if they can't deliver your scope, then it shouldn't cost you zip.
You would think that the 12" truss is a big seller for them. Perhaps they're doing a redesign but you'll never hear that from them of course.
Good luck,
SB

This is how I found out it's been removed from the site (Googled xx12g) and yes, it is the most popular TTD they offer.

https://www.telescop...cope/102637.uts

This is by far not my first purchase from Orion. Bought 3 scopes and many accessories. All of those experiences were great.

I may be jumping on the worry train a little early but I heard things that raised concerns. You never want to go to customer service anywhere when it's a problem. Most I my customer service experiences left something to be desired, if you know what I mean.

It is nice to hear folks say good things instead of mediocre. Or worse......

Edited by Meterman, 28 July 2021 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Meterman

Meterman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

Oh, just out of curiosity I did a quick web search. All of the reps I found that offer the XX12G are out of stock and have it marked as "extended backorder" with no availability info posted.....

#11 ganzelc01

ganzelc01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:26 PM

Only 2 days ago I received the balance of more than $3K worth of equipment from Orion. It took a few weeks to get it all, but Pat kept me informed of status. The expected ship dates on their website vary as equipment is often delayed awaiting containers being unloaded at the docks. They ship in the order the orders were received for any given item.

Ken is no longer in customer service. He is now in product development, but still provides technical information via customer service. Because they are employee owned, the staff is very supportive. 

Don't sweat it..."fine wine takes time".

• Jarnett51, ram812 and Meterman like this

#12 Meterman

Meterman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:49 PM

Only 2 days ago I received the balance of more than $3K worth of equipment from Orion. It took a few weeks to get it all, but Pat kept me informed of status. The expected ship dates on their website vary as equipment is often delayed awaiting containers being unloaded at the docks. They ship in the order the orders were received for any given item.

Ken is no longer in customer service. He is now in product development, but still provides technical information via customer service. Because they are employee owned, the staff is very supportive.

Don't sweat it..."fine wine takes time".

Yeah, I already know orders are shipped in order they are received. It's just how it works and I understand and am ok with that.

Important part is it's good to hear all positive customer service comments. It seems like many companies could learn something from Orion about what good customer support really means.

Thank You everyone for the positive comments. I'm going to sit back and patiently wait.

Clear Skies!

• Big_Eight likes this

#13 bjkaras

bjkaras

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:23 AM

Their customer service is good. I’ve bought lots of things from them, either from the web site or directly from their store in Cupertino. Unfortunately that store has been closed permanently.

• ram812 likes this

#14 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:46 AM

Do they provide customer service to people who buy used? I've heard they only provide customer service to the original owner and people who buy used can't even order spare parts from Orion if something on the scope breaks. Is that correct?

#15 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

Patience is the key. Orion is just having a tough time like most other vendors. You'll get your kit and if not, they will refund to you or get something that will fit the bill! Communication is the key and their customer service is superb. Always has been, always will be.

CS, Ralph
  • Meterman likes this

#16 bjkaras

bjkaras

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:27 PM

Do they provide customer service to people who buy used? I've heard they only provide customer service to the original owner and people who buy used can't even order spare parts from Orion if something on the scope breaks. Is that correct?

That is correct.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#17 bjkaras

bjkaras

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:30 PM

Patience is the key. Orion is just having a tough time like most other vendors. You'll get your kit and if not, they will refund to you or get something that will fit the bill! Communication is the key and their customer service is superb. Always has been, always will be.

CS, Ralph

A friend of mine who regularly uses the facilities at Lick Observatory surprised me when he said some of the hardware he uses up there comes from Orion. 

• ram812 and Meterman like this

#18 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:38 PM

A friend of mine who regularly uses the facilities at Lick Observatory surprised me when he said some of the hardware he uses up there comes from Orion.

Wow!😯 That's an amazing tidbit of info. I believe it. Orion and OPT have been my go-to suppliers for years, but since OPT changed hands, it is a little tougher through them. Orion? They're close enough physically and have kept the mantra "The customer comes first". I've had great quality with them, and if they're good enough for a full- blown observatory? They're good enough for me😁!

CS, Ralph
  • Meterman likes this

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:07 AM

This seems to be the case.  In terms of Orion Customer Service..  My impression is that their sales support is very good, their technical support, repair, not so good. A couple of years ago I worked on an Orion 80mm CF triplet that had been sent to Orion because the focuser was loose.  Orion said they couldn't fix and put in a box loose and then it arrived, the microfocuser shaft was damaged.  

Jon

#20 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:51 AM

I've been working with their customer service recently and they are very courteous and super prompt in their responses.  When I wanted to return something, they sent a return UPS label right away. 

It wouldn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't count on getting a price break.  However, I'm sure they'll let you return anything you end up not being able to use.  Just make sure you don't unbox anything and lose the packing materials. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics