•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inserting Filter in Image Train

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikenaka

mikenaka

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:16 PM

After searching for 30 minutes, I could not find exactly where a filter (like an L-Extreme, L-Enhance etc) needs to go. Does it screw into the reducer? T Adapter?

Setup is Celestron Reducer, T-Adapter, OAG, 21mm Spacer then camera. As you can probably tell, I'm new to all of this. I have been successful in getting images, but still have a lot to learn.  It's frustrating sometimes, but I'm hoping it all comes together soon.  Appreciate any info you can give me.  Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210728_161203.jpg

#2 BrettD

BrettD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:44 PM

I would think the easiest would be to use a zwo filter draw instead of the 21mm spacer:

https://astronomy-im...lter-drawer-m42

assuming you have a 2" filter

• hemacp likes this

#3 BrettD

BrettD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:58 PM

Even if your reducer has a  place to insert a filter (some do), you really wouldn't want to do that especially with an l-enhance or l-extreme, as it will take most of the light away from your guide camera.

When using an OAG the filter is much better between the OAG and camera 

• hemacp likes this

#4 mikenaka

mikenaka

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:06 PM

Thanks!  Didn't even know something like that was available. I don't have any filters yet.  Wanted to figure this out before I made any purchases.

#5 arbit

arbit

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:03 PM

As BrettD says, when using an OAG the filter should be between the OAG and camera.The ZWO filter drawer is 21mm and fits nicely.

It takes only 2 inch filters though. If you prefer 1.25 inch for whatever reason (cost, camera), they also sell an adaptor which allows use of 1.25 filters. Be sure to get the new design with the holder ring.

If in a hurry, you can also use the 1.25 nosepiece that came with the camera and attach the filter to the end of that. But that needs a 1.25 inch filter only.

Overall the filter drawer approach is better as it is more flexible in filter size and you can change filters without removing the camera.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Edited by arbit, 28 July 2021 - 10:08 PM.

#6 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:41 PM

Even if your reducer has a  place to insert a filter (some do), you really wouldn't want to do that especially with an l-enhance or l-extreme, as it will take most of the light away from your guide camera.

When using an OAG the filter is much better between the OAG and camera 

........and I would have thought an IR pass filter would improve guiding?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics