•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn - 7/25/21 - thanks to all inputs - see description

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:35 PM

Here is reprocessed Saturn from last weekend.  AP's selected using Daryl's technique described in his post.  R6 settings per Daryl's tutes on his webpage.  Color balance using Andrew's color posts during the past few weeks (especially I remembered to add the 10% blue after RGB balance in R6).  Numerous other suggestions from reading other posts in this particular room in the forum.

This is a 10 image derotation of images taken early in the morning 7-25-21.  Each image is a 1% stack of 13,800 frames (1.5x drizzle) taken at Gain = 400 and 13ms for a rate of 76 fps.  AS!3 and R6 as described above.  AstraImage using for simple deconvolution, curves, and denoise.  Image resized to 67% in AstraImage prior to denoise being applied.  Canvas size adjusted in PaintShop Pro 2021.  With a final bit of high-pass sharpen and gaussian blur before saving the image as JPEG.

2021-07-25-0743_7-DWC-L-Sat__M__AS_P1_lapl5_ap40_Drizzle15wdrAP.jpg

Even though the data is still not great this is by far the best Saturn I've been able to achieve since joining the forum.

Yes I still need to collimate the scope but the weather has not been cooperating.  However, just about all of the artifact on the rhs of the Cassini Division has been eliminated by the stacking and wavelets procedures adapted from above.

Edited by dcaponeii, 28 July 2021 - 06:46 PM.

• Sunspot, John Rogers, John Boudreau and 8 others like this

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Aurora

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:32 PM

Yes I still need to collimate the scope but the weather has not been cooperating.  However, just about all of the artifact on the rhs of the Cassini Division has been eliminated by the stacking and wavelets procedures adapted from above.

Not meaning to come across as negative as this likely sounds,  but -  has it (been eliminated)? The rings look intensely asymmetrical to me - is this the image you meant to post?

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:06 AM

You’re right on the mark BUT it’s the same data with a much better result. The processing suggestions result in a reduction of the effects on the final image. Weather and work haven’t Allie me back to the scope yet. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can get collimation and optical equipment aligned.

#4 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:31 AM

Are you using an IR/UV cut filter?

#5 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:59 AM

Yes. IR/UV cut filter in place

#6 tboss70

tboss70

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:13 AM

Great work. Would you mind sharing a link to  Daryls post as well as his website? I'd be curious to read those tips as well.

Aslo,a 1% stack of 13,800 frames is pretty small. Why not use something like 33%? I realize more bad data could get in there so it really depends but if you only stacked roughly 100-200 frames, processing the final results will be really limited wont it (get grainy quick)?

I'm no expert here so just asking. I've found if I can stack about 5,000 frames (if the seeing and capture support it), I have better luck pushing the processing without it getting too grainy.

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:54 AM

Great work. Would you mind sharing a link to Daryls post as well as his website? I'd be curious to read those tips as well.
Aslo,a 1% stack of 13,800 frames is pretty small. Why not use something like 33%? I realize more bad data could get in there so it really depends but if you only stacked roughly 100-200 frames, processing the final results will be really limited wont it (get grainy quick)?

I'm no expert here so just asking. I've found if I can stack about 5,000 frames (if the seeing and capture support it), I have better luck pushing the processing without it getting too grainy.

I’ll try to do that for you when I get back to the house. I can’t figure out how to get the link from my phone app.

#8 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:21 AM

Great work. Would you mind sharing a link to  Daryls post as well as his website? I'd be curious to read those tips as well.

Here's that link:  https://momilika.net/Index.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics