•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader Diamond Steeltrack SC focuser w/ ZWO EAF set up

DIY SCT Imaging Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:36 AM

For my C9.25, I ordered a SCT crayford focuser and the ZWO EAF. Instead of attaching the focus motor to the rough focus, I opted for a belt drive across the fine focus knob using a diy bracket made from electrical box. I saw someone else on CN had made a bracket before using same material so figured I’d give it a try. So far so good and I also ordered the belt/pulley kit from Amazon. It is I meant for 3D printers so the belt is not closed looped. I added some Velcro for added support but it probably isn’t needed. Also, the bracket that came with the ZWO motor does not have the correct spacing for the screws to hold it in place and the screws on the Baader for attaching accessories to the bottom are M6 machine screws,  which are larger than the ZWO bracket supports.

I was able to cut a piece of belt to the length I needed and with some fabric and Loctite flexible adhesive, I was able to attach both ends and it works fine. Next belt I make I will use some of the the tennis racquet head frame protective tape. It is black and sticky enough and will be easier to use.

With the current configuration I am getting about 7mm of focus travel from 0 to 60000 steps so I ordered a larger pulley from Amazon that will give me about 1:1 ratio with the fine focus knob.

the software works fine and the Baader Diamond Track focuser is a dream. Very high quality and it can support over 10lbs of weight (per Baader). Once I add the larger pulley, I’ll share some more pics and focus travel.

Here is a link to my video with current pulley.

https://youtu.be/4mY_wnV22ac

Attached Thumbnails

• A2023B61-D175-4781-BFAD-D745492187B0.jpeg
  • 08F65AEA-CF94-426B-839F-E71A982CA179.jpeg
  • 8BC9D889-3F28-4CD6-B674-E2D8F010E582.jpeg

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#2 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Possibly Bortle 8-9, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:49 AM

The Baader seems like a beefy boy. I watched the video, and I have to agree, the focusing system looks pretty neat-Maybe you should just mount the EAF somehow with screws to make it sturdier-I think. How does it compare to other focusing systems?-Like the Nitecrawlerlol.gif.

Looking forward to see how it performs!

• Paul AZ likes this

#3 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:58 AM

Thanks!

The DIY bracket is attached to the focuser using 3 M6 x 14mm machine screws and then the ZWO EAF is attached to the bracket with the normal 2 screws that are normally used to attach to the ZWO bracket.

After taking a look at the Deep Sky Dad set up, I have enough of the electrical box material to add a support bracket to the rear side of the motor. It is pretty solid now but I would feel more comfortable with some added support. As for other systems, unfortunately I don't have the funds to do my own comparison bawling.gif   lol.gif

However, I will share some results at a later time once get outside with the whole set up. waytogo.gif

Edited by Paul AZ, 29 July 2021 - 01:00 AM.

#4 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:25 AM

The 2.5" Nitecrawler costs $2400(at present), so the bank might be blown clean out of the Virgo Supercluster. So no worries, other people might compare here anyway. Thanks for the reply! It was really worrying me if something happened to the EAF just buckled on with some Velcro!

Edited by Ayaan Hashim, 29 July 2021 - 01:27 AM.

#5 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:31 AM

The 2.5" Nitecrawler costs $2400(at present), so the bank might be blown clean out of the Virgo Supercluster. So no worries, other people might compare here anyway. Thanks for the reply! It was really worrying me if something happened to the EAF just buckled on with some Velcro!

That is definitely out of my budget. 🤠 I had also considered some other integrated models but like the idea of having the motor separate from the focuser in case I need to swap out motors etc.
  • Ayaan Hashim likes this

#6 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:34 AM

I was also considering if you should permanently mount the EAF...Will the belt need tensioning every now and then?

Edited by Ayaan Hashim, 29 July 2021 - 02:05 AM.

#7 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

Now with the larger 60 tooth pulley I get 20mm of focus travel over 60k steps. So that works out to .33 microns per step. Much better than before and I also needed a larger belt loop so this time I used a little super glue to piece together the belt ends with a short belt to support. Works like a charm.

😁

Attached Thumbnails

• 092C8215-9127-46F4-9063-1250D3695597.jpeg
  • 1FC64411-202B-425A-82BD-369E73A434CA.jpeg

#8 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:46 PM

And here is the video of the latest update with the 60 tooth wheel.

https://youtu.be/pkdmLYwyJhY

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, SCT, Imaging, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics