•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Skyquest XX12G

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LeeinOregon

LeeinOregon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

Quick question - I recently ordered the Orion SkyQuest X12G  truss scope to replace my 8" solid  tube dob.  Unfortunately the new scope will not arrive until late September.  But, I was wondering if it is possible to assemble the truss scope and pick it up and carry the entire OTA by the truss's  - or will that damage the mounting points?  Anyone with any thoughts or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:01 PM

I'm sure it's fine although I'd keep the OTA pointing upward just in case (the mirror/cell moves).

Dunno, but IMO a SW 12 Collapsible might have been a better option.

#3 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:12 PM

Love my 12g,yes you can carry the ota by the tubes. The mounting points are round on far side , dovetail on other side
  • Bean614 likes this

#4 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

A former club president downsized to an XX12g a few years ago. That's a nice scope and a sweet spot in the aperture versus weight continuum. I don't know the A to your Q. Glenn never tried that I'm sure. I know it handles easily in the Orion cases for that scope. The base is the heavy part and it's not that bad.

#5 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:15 PM

Yes and sit the ota mirror on bottom if you are standing it up

#6 SteelStar

SteelStar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 01 August 2021 - 01:53 PM

Yes, you can carry the assembled ota by the trusses. I wouldn’t want to carry it very far though. I’ve had mine about a year and only done this once. I generally keep mine fully assembled and just hand truck it out of the house to the yard. Since the pandemic, I haven’t taken it anywhere.

On a side note, I noticed on the Orion site they are saying the XX12g Truss Tube is no longer available. I wonder if this is permanent or temporary because of the long expected shipping dates they are experiencing? question.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics