•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Progressive wearers - what do you do at the eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Chris K

Chris K

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:39 PM

Not sure where to have posted this...

Any progressive wearers have advice about using them at the eyepiece? I prefer no glasses but am starting to struggle with charts, lists, and SkySafari without them.

I'd like to use glasses to look at my charts, and then through the finder to locate the object area. Then I'll drop them down and observe without.

Was thinking of getting a single power pair made but am curious to know if it should just correct my vision or go with some extra power like the lower third of my progressives.

Or maybe just go buy a pair of readers?

• JamesMStephens and CRAZYeye29325 like this

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:45 PM

That's a good question.  I usually just take my eyegllasses off.

Jim

• Jon Isaacs, esd726, dswtan and 2 others like this

#3 1983cowboy

1983cowboy

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:50 PM

I can relate. I prefer not wearing my progressive glasses at the eyepiece, but I need them for my finder and reading star charts.

I've had decent luck wearing my glasses with a neck strap so I can drop them when I need to, and pop them back on without digging around for them. 

• petert913, mikerepp, wrvond and 2 others like this

#4 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:50 PM

I have progressive lenses and have to use them all the time if I want to see good due to severe astigmatism.  I don't have any problems with them at the eyepiece.  

• jcj380, geovermont and CRAZYeye29325 like this

#5 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:58 PM

Neck strap.  Buy a bag of cloth ones on Amazon.  Cheap.

• Bill Jensen, petert913, jcj380 and 2 others like this

#6 toddster

toddster

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Harrisburg, PA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:59 PM

I do what 1983cowboy does. Put a strap on them so I can put them on/off quickly. They dangle from my neck until needed.
  • Bill Jensen, wrvond, Ihtegla Sar and 1 other like this

#7 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:06 PM

Neck strap here, too.  waytogo.gif

• Bill Jensen and CRAZYeye29325 like this

#8 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:36 PM

Dioptrx! 

• petert913 likes this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:42 PM

:waytogo:

I wear bifocals but they are really just very expensive readers, my distance correction is essentially 0.0 and I have no astigmatism.  I need to wear reading glasses to read charts and otherwise I am fine without them.  

I just use cheap reading glasses to read Sky Safari and either take them off or flip them up on my forehead.  

If you don't have any astigmatism, no glasses at the eyepiece is best.

Jon

• Bill Jensen and Ihtegla Sar like this

#10 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:55 PM

I use them when I need to read charts (usually when I have the 16" out).  I can find the distortion caused by my eyeglass lenses if I look for it, but it really doesn't impact my observations much.

#11 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:11 PM

A neckstrap is a good idea, it will prevent you from dropping your glasses and losing them or stepping on them.  With astigmatism you might benefit from taking your glasses off when using high powers.

Jim

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:14 PM

A neckstrap is a good idea, it will prevent you from dropping your glasses and losing them or stepping on them.  With astigmatism you might benefit from taking your glasses off when using high powers.

Jim

I buy my readers at the Dollar Tree.. I have lots of them.. I try not to step on them.. The neck strap doesn't work for me.. I don't like things around my neck... 

Jon

• JamesMStephens likes this

#13 AstroFrankMontana

AstroFrankMontana

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Gallatin County, Montana

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:04 AM

When I get new glasses, I get a pair that ONLY corrects my astigmatism.  No magnifications, just the correction.  I used to get funny looks, but it seems that this is a popular option for kids into archery now so I am no longer the only person asking for such a prescription. 

You can get them cheap online, so throw a pair in your eyeglass case, and keep one at home for use with binoculars.  I think mine came to $35 shipped per pair.  Also, as long as your astigmatism does not change you do not need to refresh them every year.  Just get the no glare coating, don't bother with the scratch coating as the cheap glasses are less expensive to swap than the cost of the coating.

#14 starblue

starblue

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:11 AM

I use a neck strap too. Take 'em off, let 'em drop, they won't fall, when I look in the scope or read charts (I'm nearsighted); then they're right there ready to be picked up again when I look at the sky. I have a little astigmatism but I put up with it looking into the scope, but I also know mine is rather mild compared to many people.

• jcj380 likes this

#15 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:57 AM

I'm nearsighted and have astigmatism, so I usually keep my glasses on.  I'll use a neck strap in case I want to observe a bit without them and reading SS on my phone is sometimes easier without them.

#16 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:56 AM

Why are there no conservative eyeglasses?shocked.gif  I guess those "birth control" glasses they gave us in the military (VietNam era) might qualify....

I only wear readers for charts, I prefer naked eye viewing.....without the glasses, I'm just another guy in a blue spandex suit with a red cape.

• CRAZYeye29325 likes this

#17 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan Valley, BC.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:35 AM

I also use a neckstrap when moving from charts to the eyepiece.

For sketching I now use my Pentax XW EPs.  I can roll the eye guard down to its bottom position allowing me to wear glasses at both the EP and when sketching.  But for just observing the eye guard is rolled up to its most comfortable position.

#18 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

I take them off for viewing. Keep them on the accessory table for looking at my charts. I should get a neck strap so I won't be getting fingerprints all over the lenses

#19 Tempus

Tempus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Anna Tx

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:50 AM

I bought a pair of glasses just for use at the scope. The frames are essentially rubber (ok, some synthetic...) but they are pliable and can be folder in half without blinking an eye. Coupled with a neckstrap, they have worked out to be the perfect combo. Now I can removed them quickly without concern of breaking the frames in the process while being safe from dropping and scratching a lens.

#20 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:10 PM

In the context of observing, I use my progressives only for reading. Although they technically help my distance vision, for some reason I can't convince myself they help at night. Maybe the help they provide is overridden by the two additional optical surfaces? Never at the eyepiece, though. Although I have astigmatism in both eyes (in different directions) the net result is I see better through the eyepiece au naturel. Maybe it's an exit pupil thing.

I just keep my glasses within reach but not on: In my collar, pocket or (if it's dewey) under the cover on my observing table. I've not run into any fear of breaking glasses, but having them around my neck usually ends up in a tangle with my red light lanyard.

#21 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:05 PM

I wear progressives at the EP.   I tried the glasses on a rope deal, but its such a pita, especially in the winter, wearing head gear, balaclavas, etc.   I just had to buy all 20mm eye relief EPs.  Of course, that's pretty expensive, but I had a great set of EPs now.

SB

• jcj380 likes this

#22 Chris K

Chris K

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:53 PM

All great ideas, thank you. I do use the rope which helps. I will look into baby steps and try out readers and then maybe the astigmatism-only idea.

I have moderate astigmatism and use dioptrx on some eyepieces.

Clear skies!

#23 CeeKay

CeeKay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:06 PM

Not sure where to have posted this...

Any progressive wearers have advice about using them at the eyepiece? I prefer no glasses but am starting to struggle with charts, lists, and SkySafari without them.

I'd like to use glasses to look at my charts, and then through the finder to locate the object area. Then I'll drop them down and observe without.

Was thinking of getting a single power pair made but am curious to know if it should just correct my vision or go with some extra power like the lower third of my progressives.

Chris... I'm with you (progressive wearer)... I take them off for viewing and just have them on hand if I need to check things out in a chart or SkySafari...

#24 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:21 PM

This suggestion seems to be heresy to some but a go-to mount solves a lot of problems for the visually challenged Eyecrazy.gif  If I want to have a relaxed time at the scope then a Sky-Watcher mount with dual encoders is the ticket. coolnod.gif

• Michael Tomich likes this

#25 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:14 AM

This suggestion seems to be heresy to some but a go-to mount solves a lot of problems for the visually challenged Eyecrazy.gif  If I want to have a relaxed time at the scope then a Sky-Watcher mount with dual encoders is the ticket. coolnod.gif

waytogo.gif   I haven't used my encoder-equipped TW 1 for quite awhile, but I do the glasses on / glasses off thing since I run SS on an iPhone and the screen shows up better for me with glasses off in red mode.  I could get a tablet, but that would be one more piece of gear to haul / charge.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics