•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Progressive wearers - what do you do at the eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:04 AM

This suggestion seems to be heresy to some but a go-to mount solves a lot of problems for the visually challenged Eyecrazy.gif  If I want to have a relaxed time at the scope then a Sky-Watcher mount with dual encoders is the ticket. coolnod.gif

For me, it requires more "visual work" to use goto: Put my glasses on to read the controller / phone / tablet, take them off to look at a distance or in the eyepiece, repeat, repeat... With no goto, the only time I need my glasses is when I'm looking for an object I'm that's not familiar to me. If I know where it is, the glasses rarely get used.

#27 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

Dioptrx is awesome for astigmatism. As for BCGs (birth control glasses, i.e. glasses so ugly you will never find a mate), I recieved my first set at Basic in 2000 at Lackland AFB. I still have them! Prescription all wrong, but wow, what a powerful memento! 

Mike

#28 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:33 PM

On my 20mm eye relief eyepieces, I wore progressives. If you know how to use them when doing other viewing, you will adjust to viewing with them at the eyepiece. With eyepieces with less than 15mm of eye relief, I viewed without eyeglasses. I am able to do that because I have very little astigmatism. 

#29 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:34 PM

Hmm...hmm.gif  I guess it just depends on how good or bad your vision is. I've never had trouble reading a hand controller on a go-to mount...with or without glasses. It's just do a basic alignment with progressives on then either off or on depending on the eyepiece. Mostly off since the object is in the FOV of a wide eyepiece. Very easy and comfortable for me anyway. gramps.gif

Edited by sevenofnine, 31 July 2021 - 07:35 PM.

#30 bjkaras

bjkaras

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:53 PM

I just take my glasses off.

#31 mac57

mac57

Viking 1

• Loc: DeLand of Oz, Florida

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:32 PM

I have astigmatism, but fight the battle anyway.  I think that's why I like refractors instead of Newts, because there is no coma, although there can be field curvature instead.  YMMV  Mark

#32 Anthony Dente

Anthony Dente

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Moyers, Oklahoma

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:45 PM

I’m nearsighted and can take my glasses off, which I do.

Never use glasses to observe...!

Attached Thumbnails

• DBF6CE00-6157-46B4-8EB9-86575E4016FB.jpeg

#33 DPT

DPT

Vostok 1

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:22 AM

I wear progressive glasses due to being very nearsighted and having strong astigmatism (3.25). When I had my glasses made, I had the distance section made larger than typical. I have also invested over time on eyepieces with great eye relief as well. I do use a Dioptrix with my Tele Vue 31 mm and 22 mm Naglers in my Dobs when viewing alone, not very convenient or practical with groups though. Not a perfect solution but very workable.

David

#34 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 August 2021 - 10:35 AM

Not sure where to have posted this...

Any progressive wearers have advice about using them at the eyepiece? I prefer no glasses but am starting to struggle with charts, lists, and SkySafari without them.

I'd like to use glasses to look at my charts, and then through the finder to locate the object area. Then I'll drop them down and observe without.

Was thinking of getting a single power pair made but am curious to know if it should just correct my vision or go with some extra power like the lower third of my progressives.

Or maybe just go buy a pair of readers?

Progressives don't work at the scope.

Most of the field will be out of focus.

If you need astigmatism correction and readers, try bifocals.

If you don't have astigmatism, simple readers hung around the neck on a lanyard can be used when looking at charts and stuff and glasses won't be necessary at the eyepiece.

If you go for bifocals (my solution), get a lab willing to make the reader section on the bottom very small so the reader section is NOT in your field of view when using the scope.

I got mine at Costco and they made the reader section only 8mm tall and since I went for larger lenses, the reader section is not visible when looking through the eyepiece.

How can you tell if you need a distance prescription at the scope?

Two ways:

1) look at the stars naked eye, then look at the stars with glasses on.  Did the stars improve?  You need glasses at the scope--at least with low power eyepieces.

2) look at the stars in a low power eyepiece in the scope without glasses.  Look at the stars in the center of the field.  Repeat, using glasses.  Did the star images improve?  You need glasses at the scope.

[Aside:  If the stars aren't tiny little round points with glasses on, you need a different prescription. Time for new glasses.]

Can you remove glasses and view without them at some point when the focal lengths of your eyepieces get shorter?

--repeat the low power eyepiece routine with every focal length.  At some point, you won't be able to see a difference with or without glasses.

With that focal length and shorter, you can remove your glasses to observe.  That happens for me at 9mm, but will happen at different points for every observer.

#35 Michael Tomich

Michael Tomich

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ocala, Florida, USA

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:06 AM

I took my old progressive glasses where the coating had deteriorated on the lenses and removed all coating with Armour Etch. Then I replaced the broken frames with identical frames off the internet. So now I have a spare pair of progressive glasses that I don't mind abusing. I do wifi go to with my phone and use sky safari in night mode. I wear glasses to see the phone screen to search and scroll through objects or to browse the sky chart and perform go commands. I pull off my glasses with my right hand and hold them under the phone hanging off my left hand pinky to observe. Right hand is used for focuser, tapping on screen slewing controls (blurry but no problem), and nudging OTA. I can quickly put on and remove glasses as needed. I put on glasses and set the phone down to change eyepieces. I set everything down for long views through the eyepiece when marveling at particularly magnificent objects.

Edited by Michael Tomich, 19 August 2021 - 11:08 AM.

#36 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:31 AM

I bought a cheap, but robust, pair of glasses without progressive lenses. I made the correction a little stronger, as well, as I've read that when the eyes dilate, "worse" parts of the lens are used (which makes intuitive sense to me - lenses and mirrors often suffer defects at the edges). 

It works well. I can actually read okay without any correction if I get close enough to the page/screen, so my operation is glasses on to look through eyepiece and off to read charts. 

#37 millsbob

millsbob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Massachusetts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:45 PM

EAA

#38 gwlee

gwlee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 20 August 2021 - 11:14 AM

Progressives don't work at the scope.

Most of the field will be out of focus.

Mine work fine.

#39 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 20 August 2021 - 01:23 PM

Mine work fine.

But only if you only look through the center of the lens and not through other places in the lens.

Otherwise, if you look up, the focus will be different than looking down.

And if you look right or left, you enter the more distorted portion of the field.

You could, I suppose, constantly move the head so you never look through any other part of the lens than dead center,

but if your glasses touch the rubber, and for most of us wearing glasses that happens, then moving the head like that is impractical.

It's easier to press the glasses against the rubber and merely move the eye or roll the head to look at different areas in the field.

I admit, I don't have much experience with narrow field eyepieces and glasses, but I do use Delites a lot, and progressives don't show the entire field sharp at one time,

while single vision glasses do.

#40 Stewc14

Stewc14

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pueblo West colorado

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:33 PM

I just take them off

#41 gwlee

gwlee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:30 PM

But only if you only look through the center of the lens and not through other places in the lens.

Otherwise, if you look up, the focus will be different than looking down.

And if you look right or left, you enter the more distorted portion of the field.

You could, I suppose, constantly move the head so you never look through any other part of the lens than dead center,

but if your glasses touch the rubber, and for most of us wearing glasses that happens, then moving the head like that is impractical.

It's easier to press the glasses against the rubber and merely move the eye or roll the head to look at different areas in the field.

I admit, I don't have much experience with narrow field eyepieces and glasses, but I do use Delites a lot, and progressives don't show the entire field sharp at one time,

while single vision glasses do.

I use single vision and progressive eyeglasses at the scope with Delite and Panoptic EPs. Each has an advantage at times, but both generally work well for me, and my progressives don’t require a different technique.

Some people have more difficulty adjusting to progressives than others though, and the size and position of the distance sweet spot varies as do frames, so getting the best fit can take more effort than single vision lenses require. 

#42 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:40 PM

There's another similar thread where I replied that monovision contacts may be an option. You get two different contacts, one for near and one for distance. Your brain magically merges the two pictures into one.

I don't use them all the time because I want both eyes in focus for computer work. I find them helpful when using daylight cameras, but I haven't tried them for astro yet; I have no need to when doing astrophotography but when looking through an eyepiece I find it easier to take off my eyeglasses.

#43 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

I've been wearing progressives for 30 years, and it is certainly true that today's lenses have a wider sweet sport and a more seamless vertical gradation.

Much progress has been made (that's a pun, son).

Perhaps it's the larger lenses on the eyepieces I use, or the wider apparent fields, but I do find that, when looking at the center, the edge is sharper with single vision glasses

than it is with progressives unless I tilt my head or move the glasses relative to the field.

Not quite as bad as bifocals, when I get the reading section accidentally in the field of the eyepiece.

I'm not sure why that is, since the exit pupil in the eyepiece is small enough to completely pass through the center of the lens, but I can notice it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics