•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I am on IR for the next 14 days or so from observing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:43 AM

Of course it will be clear and drier than normal tonight. The opposite of the new scope curse. I hope the people in Northern Virginia appreciate my sacrifice!

My procedure yesterday went better than I expected (sparing you all TMI here) and I am behaving per my doc's  advice and my wife's directive. I can probably lift 25 pounds in a week or so, so the Oracle3 will be the scope of choice during this upcoming new moon (assuming clear August skies, which in the midAtlantic is problematic). 

I normally walk about 7 miles per day so I feel like I am loafing but following orders will get me back into "playing shape" and being able to lift either of my dobs. 

• Jon Isaacs, RAKing and Kimbo_2112 like this

#2 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:16 AM

Good luck with your recovery Sir smile.gif

• Bill Jensen likes this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:09 AM

Wow, 7 miles a day is fantastic (I am a sloucher by comparison). Hopefully, you will be back observing in no time. 

• Bill Jensen likes this

#4 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:51 PM

If you have dark enough skies, just kick back and use your eyes (assuming they weren't operated on) for the 2-3 meteor showers that are warming up.  Heal up and good luck.

• Bill Jensen, Kimbo_2112 and therealdmt like this

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:09 PM

Hopefully a speedy recovery! flowerred.gif

• Bill Jensen likes this

#6 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:19 PM

If you have dark enough skies, just kick back and use your eyes (assuming they weren't operated on) for the 2-3 meteor showers that are warming up.  Heal up and good luck.

in the burbs of DC, the meteors would have to be pretty darn bright for me to see them. Rare, but it does happen.  

Tonight would have been a perfect night to lay on a chair with bug spray and look up if I was about an hour out of town. Just glad to have the procedure in my rear view mirror. Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. Grab the photons that I am missing!

#7 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

I'd love to grab the photons you are missing, but transparency here has been really bad of late on clear nights. - not too many photons are getting through, even without the clouds.

#8 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:27 AM

Here's to a no complications speedy recovery Bill!

#9 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:11 PM

Best of luck with your recovery. flowerred.gif

I wondered why our sky conditions suddenly improved just west of DC.  Thanks to you, I have been able to get outside and enjoy a few decent observing nights this past week.  No moon, low humidity, cooler temperatures - it never gets this nice in August around here!

Thanks!  lol.gif

Ron (in Gainesville)

• Jon Isaacs, Bill Jensen and payner like this

#10 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:16 PM

Ron, you are welcome! I may have messed up our next week or so by sneaking outside. 

I was actually able to haul out the small TV Oracle3 for some nice views the last 2 nights. Sure wish I could haul out the Teeter STS, but lifting 41 pounds for the OTA alone is just not smart. (I may not be smart, but if I try to lift or do too much It "smarts") 

• RAKing likes this

#11 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 07 August 2021 - 08:57 AM

Bill,

I don't know exactly what you went through, but after my spinal and wrist fusion surgeries, I was limited to a 15 pound lift - and my wife enforced it!  tongue2.gif   

Please don't push yourself into more problems. The stars will still be there when you have healed.

Cheers,

Ron

• Bill Jensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics