•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sunday after 4AM Ganymede Near GRS and Shadow Transit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 31 July 2021 - 03:55 AM

Checking my SkySafari nice event with large moon Ganymede near the Great Red Spot along with a shadow transit around and after 4AM central time here in midwest. As the larger moon a good chance to watch it cross the planet, as often for me the other moons usually blend in. 

All three events, the shadow transit, Ganymede itself, moon right near the GRS, should be impressive.

So far my local forecast shows clearing then if it Holds true, fingers Crossed! 

Certainly want to catch this One! 

XT10 Dob

Orthos 7mm, 6mm, 5mm

Clave 8mm, Nagler 4.8mm 

I'm ready, Lol! 

Edited by phillip, 31 July 2021 - 03:57 AM.

#2 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:19 AM

Yikes hope my aged skysafari was accurate enough on this. 

Shadow transit was easy, even Ganymede was evident, but wild fires smoke took away most else for my early observation. Was having trouble verifying the GRS conditions continued to get worse as Jupiter lowered.

Did see a hint of a possible Bar or Barge near the shadow to its left in the reflector view, but that was early stages.

Curious if anyone caught more detail than my midwest questionable sky. Still the images I was able to see were certainly worth while. Views were near steady. Just the heavy smoke haze erased the otherwise possible sharp view.

XT10 Dob

Every eyepiece I had Lol! 

7mm power was giving favored look due to sky...

Added:

What was interesting with smoke haze due to all these forest fires, the lower resolution I was experiencing the view stood out well for Ganymede itself as so large, but distorted the Shape of the GRS was a challenge recognizing the Red Spot. Shadow tho was a Beauty! Nice! 

Edited by phillip, 01 August 2021 - 09:38 AM.

#3 NE79

NE79

Sputnik

Posted 01 August 2021 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this!

I'm also in the midwest.  Not sure if it was smoke or just humidity/haze here, but i didn't expect to see much, but i set the alarm of 0345 after setting the XT8 outside to cool at 1200 and getting a bit of a nap.

I was pleasantly surprised when i went outside, as Jupiter was in between the two tall trees to my south, so i was able to set up on my sidewalk instead of in the grass.  I just caught Ganymede before it began its transit, and the shadow was quite easy to see.  It took quite a while to see the moon itself after it crossed in front of the planet.  I'm not sure of the correct terminology for what the view was like.  I think seeing was ok (nothing wavy or wiggly), but focus/blurriness would come and go.  At some moments, i think i saw more cloud detail than i have so far in the few years i've been observing, especially between the two bands.

Like you said, the moon really stood out once it traversed farther 'in,' but made the GRS very difficult to discern.  It doesn't stand out nearly as much as i remember from a few years ago.  Very worthwhile.  First time i've been out this year thanks to work/weather.

XT8

15, 12, 8, & 5 Paradigms

Started out with the 15, sharp but small

Then the 8, looked pretty good, so why not go for more

5 was too much and most detail fell apart

About an hour later, remembered i hadn't tried the 12.  It was just right!

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention!

• Dobs O Fun likes this

#4 NE79

NE79

Sputnik

Posted 01 August 2021 - 01:34 PM

Forgot to add:

I noticed another moon (Io?) getting close, but the planet was starting to set below my house so i didn't see: was there another shadow transit visible?

#5 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:33 PM

Possibly Europa but nearing dawn would be tuff to catch, also Jupiter's lower location is an issue. 

Your description matches my view quite accurately.

Haze again from the several active forest fires. 

Believe we both witnessed some steady sky, certainly helped with the otherwise building smoke haze. 

Again worth the catch, glad you caught it as Well! 

Excellent! 

Best! 

Great on getting your scope temp ready, but careful on possible dew build, my scope is kept overnight in car trunk for thermal ready, only removed when time to observe. Infact place my vehicle at observation location, things moved only few feet to setup, up and going early as 3 1/2 minutes when I'm Slow, Lol! Just caution on the Dew! 

Edited by phillip, 01 August 2021 - 02:39 PM.

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:32 PM

It was Europa.

Here's a screenshot from Stellarium showing Jupiter and the Galilean satellites at 5:00 a.m. EDT.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 8-1-21 Stellarium.JPG

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:42 PM

I noticed another moon (Io?) getting close, but the planet was starting to set below my house so i didn't see: was there another shadow transit visible?

A shadow transit by Europa began at 10:08 UT.

Sunday, August 1, 2021

06:42 UT, Ganymede's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
08:38 UT, Ganymede begins transit of Jupiter.
10:08 UT, Europa's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
10:20 UT, Ganymede's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
11:04 UT, Europa begins transit of Jupiter.
11:52 UT, Io enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
12:12 UT, Ganymede ends transit of Jupiter.
13:00 UT, Europa's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
13:54 UT, Europa ends transit of Jupiter.
14:36 UT, Io exits occultation behind Jupiter.

https://skyandtelesc...cript-utility/#

#8 NE79

NE79

Sputnik

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:15 PM

(Best Don Adams voice)  Missed it by *that* much!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics