•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions about binoculars's solar filter...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kim

Kim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:39 PM

Hello I'm kim

I bought C102HD and I enjoy about that scope with only Fringe Killer filer...

But I didn't buy solar filter and I want to watch the sun,

then I'm looking for binoculars's solar filter but I have

question about it.

http://www.highpoint...ml#SolarFilters

There are two diffrent types of binoculars's solar filter and diffrent costs...

If I gonna buy that solar filter I'll put it on my Olympus

(10x50) binoculars as only watch with eyes. But i don't

understand about which thing is diffrent and why it has diffrent costs...

Can you tell me about which solar filter is better watch as only eyes?

#2 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:13 AM

I assume you are talking about the difference between white-light and hydrogen-alpha filters. The white-light filters (the cheap ones) allow you to observe the total light bandwidth and see things on the photosphere like sunspots and the transit of Venus. The H-alpha has an extremely narrow bandwidth that allow you to observe the chromosphere and allow you to the structures of prominances and filaments.

If you want to know what the sun looks like at different wave lengths look here:

http://www.astronomydaily.com/sun.asp

You may have to register, but it is a good site. Then click on the sun on the main page.

#3 Kim

Kim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

Thank you and I'm sorry... but I don't think so

Upper that first site show me

This thing is cheap solar filter>>>TPOLYMER PLUS Yields Unsurpassed Solar Details in Natural Color Aperture, mounted

and more expensive solar filter>>>GLASS TYPE 2 Plus & TYPE 3 PLUS (PHOTO ONLY) Aperture, mounted

And there are explain about that things But I really don't understand about that things...

Can you explain about that things?

#4 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:41 PM

Glas filters are simply more expensive to make than polymer filters. One of the best solar filters on the market is a polymer filter - Baader Astro Solar Film. I use the Baader film with my scopes and binoculars and they create excellent images.

I think it was sky and telescope that did a comparision with different glass and polymer filters. The polymer filters were equal to or better than the glass filters.

Buying a sheet of solar film and making your own filters is cost effective and easy. I made filters for a pair of 80mm binoculars, 80mm scope, and a 127mm scope from two A4 sheets with some material left over for other things. For the binoculars, I simply used a pair of cut out slip-on lens caps for the filter cell.

#5 Kim

Kim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:07 PM

Hmm I see about polymer filter...

two more question

You mean the polymer is better than glass?

Can I use it long time(like 5 years) and is it can be cut or break?

Thank you!

#6 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:36 PM

Sky and Telescope said the Baader Astro Solar film was better than the Thousand Oaks glass filter, but another polymer filter was about equal. But if you are using this binoculars you are not using the same magnifications as telescope and I doubt you can see the difference. (The article was for filters for scopes.)

I've had my filters a couple of years now and I have no problems. You want to store them were they cannot be damaged and check to see there are no pin holes before using them. But they are no more difficult to keep than any other filter. If you do a search for Baader Astro Solar Film of Baader Solar Filters on Cloudy Nights I'm sure you will find more feedback from other people who have used it. I've never seen a bad review.

#7 Kim

Kim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:42 PM

Today somebody said watch the sun with binoculars is very dangerious-_-;;;

Is that right? If you're watch the sun with the binoculars

are you using extra holder between solar filter and binoculars?

Hmm so many questions on there

sorry...

#8 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:07 AM

Here is a picture of a pair of 20x80s with hand-made solar filters. The filter cell slips on the front of the binoculars. I simply cut out the front of the lens caps to make them. (The polymer film should not be mounted tightly as it will contract with the heat of the sun but the wrinkles do not affect optical quality.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 108108-PICT0904.JPG

#9 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:14 AM

You can purchase polimer filters in filter cells. Whether binocular-size cells are available, I'm not sure.

#10 Kim

Kim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:18 AM

Oh~ very good!

hmm using mount...

Is that tapes?

#11 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:34 AM

The solar film in glued to the caps. The tape is photographic masking tape.

#12 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:45 AM

"and more expensive solar filter>>>GLASS TYPE 2 Plus & TYPE 3 PLUS (PHOTO ONLY) Aperture, mounted"

Keep in mind that photographic rated solar filters are NOT for visual use except with additional filtering.

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:48 AM

Kim,
In answer to your question about looking at the sun with binoculars. Never look directly at the sun with binoculars or a telescope (or even directly with your own eyes) without a proper solar filter at the front of the objectives (front lens of the binoculars or telescope) similar to the photo Wilash posted.

If you will use the Search feature at the top of this page and type in Baader, you will get many threads/responses on how people have made Baader Astro Solar Filters. Several of those threads will have photos and descriptions of how the people made their own filters.

It is no good if the filter is put at the eyepiece. The filter has to be at the front.

Good luck with your observing and remember not to look at the sun without proper solar filters.

Nick

#14 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

I was recently experiementing with various solar filters and 15x70 binos. The Baader film was so superior to anything else. I don't think I will ever suggest anything else ever again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics