•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone have any info on the Sky-Watcher 18" Dobsonian?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mlyoung83

mlyoung83

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:38 PM

Hello guys, I'm looking to get an 18" UC dob pretty soon.  I was interested in the Sky-Watcher 18" UC dob, since it's a couple thousand less than Obsession's version.  However, it's sold out everywhere, and I can't even find any reviews on it.   Does anyone have any info on it?  Is it discontinued?  Is it a decent scope?   Is it plagued with problems?  So many questions.  

Attached Thumbnails

• sky-s11920.jpg

#2 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:55 PM

you might want to review the CN thread linked below regarding this line of dobs, 

https://www.cloudyni...e#entry10814117

• mlyoung83 likes this

#3 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:59 PM

I believe there was a review in Sky & Telescope a year or two ago.  I believe they have been discontinued.  If I'm remembering correctly it was a PITA to set up for one person.  Looking at the picture you posted the supports for the altitude bearings look pretty cheesy, and prone to vibration. 

My advice, pass on the SW 18", and look elsewhere.

• petert913 and mlyoung83 like this

#4 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 31 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

I believe there was a review in Sky & Telescope a year or two ago.  I believe they have been discontinued.  If I'm remembering correctly it was a PITA to set up for one person.  Looking at the picture you posted the supports for the altitude bearings look pretty cheesy, and prone to vibration. 

My advice, pass on the SW 18", and look elsewhere.

We’ll thats strange as my dealer has it on there website.

#5 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 31 July 2021 - 05:39 PM

We’ll thats strange as my dealer has it on there website.

Maybe they bought all the old stock from SW, and are trying to unload it on the uninformed.undecided.gif

#6 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 05:49 PM

Maybe they bought all the old stock from SW, and are trying to unload it on the uninformed.undecided.gifii

it may be a north america vs rest of the world availability issue , based on the thread I linked above, as the north american vendor posted in that thread indicating that they were not offering the scopes in north america due to some of the customer concerns. 

• mlyoung83 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics