•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon 7x35 7.3°

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 STi_maXim

STi_maXim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:42 PM

Hello! I've bought a vintage Nikon binocular and I wanted some more info about this model. Are there some light transmission data about this binocular? What year is it made? Are any of you having experience with this model?

In my opinion the image through this one is bright, very sharp, almost no CA and the clarity goes almost to the edge of fov. The only minor inconvenience is that the diopter adjustment moves too easily.

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• nikon1.jpg
  • Nikon2.jpg
  • Nikon3.jpg
  • Nikon4.jpg
  • Nikon6.jpg

• firemachine69 likes this

#2 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:32 AM

They appear to be essentially new!   -A wonderful pair of Nikon classics!  I hope your price was just as wonderful.

Did they include a strap? a case?  They may help with determining the binocular's age.

That particular model (with variations, of course) began production prior to 1960.  The rubber eye shields on your pair indicate the E model and a late 1970s-early 1980s vintage.  The eyepieces are reportedly three-element Kellner or Konig variants, but I can neither confirm nor refute that.  Their apparent field is ~51-52 degrees.

I believe yours are fully MgFl coated, so a rough estimate of total system transmission is in the ~82-85% range.  Do not let that number discourage you.  They are quite efficient and bright, as you have noted, yourself.

If I were to seek a 7x35 binocular, I would seriously consider a Nikon E, especially if they were in such excellent condition.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

Dan

#3 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:48 AM

I had one of those awhile back and two words come to mind… “Razor Sharp.”
  • hallelujah likes this

#4 John A Roberts

John A Roberts

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 August 2021 - 01:45 AM

Hi STi,

Since WWII Nikon has offered several lines of premium Porro prism binoculars (and in more recent times various intermediate lines as well).

The main lines of premium Porro prism handheld binoculars were as follows

(and as can be seen there was a pattern of at least a cosmetic updating on a roughly 10 year basis):

1948 - Mikron (the Mikron designation was once used on most of the binocular lines)
- - - -

1959 - A model (A = aluminium?, not marked on unit; new eyepiece)

1969 - A model continues (only a change to markings, from Nikon Kogaku to Nikon; and from now on, no markings on RH prism plate)
- - - -

1978 - E model (E = Execulite, not marked on unit; new eyepiece with longer eye relief, and folding rubber eyecup)

1988 - E model updated (C = Criterion, marked on LH prism plate; same design now multicoated)
- - - -

1999 - EII model (EII not marked on unit; all new body with sloped prism plates, along with new prisms and eyepiece; longer eye relief and widest FOV; and still in production)
- - - -

And

1998 - SE model (SE = Superior E; rubber coated; new design with field flattener lenses and longest eye relief; discontinued in 2008)

- - - -

From 1948 the binoculars had single coated lenses, and from 1988 with the update to the E version they've been multicoated.
Your 7x35 is from the single coated E series from 1978 to 1988. And as Dan notes it looks like new, so congratulations!

For more details see at: https://www.birdforu...ikon-e.405588/  [ This link does not want to work! So instead go to Bird Forum and search under:  Nikon "E"? ]

e.g. the single coated 7x35 E's number range is from 770,000 to 818,427+. So around 50,000 units, with yours in the first 14,000.

So yours would date from the very late '70's/ very early '80's.

John

Edited by John A Roberts, 01 August 2021 - 02:01 AM.

• Littlegreenman, Grimnir and MisterDan like this

#5 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:12 AM

There was an extra space at the end of the link

https://www.birdforu...nikon-e.405588/

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:59 AM

That really is a very fine condition Nikon 7x35E.  A great find.   As pointed out above, they were introduced in 1978 and the multi-coated version in 1988.  I've got an early one just like yours, STi, from about 1983, and it still serves me well.  Single coated so not quite as bright as the later MC version, but the 1978-'87 model used the original Nikon logo like the Nikon cameras I used in the '60s; I think that's cool and brings good memories.  cool.gif

Enjoy, 

Rich

#7 STi_maXim

STi_maXim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:15 AM

Thank you all for your messages, I've found useful information. I paid around 120$ for the binocular, I've bought it from a friend who offered me a discount. It is in a great condition, almost like a new one and perfectly collimated.

• MisterDan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics