•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI290MM Horizontal Glitch Pattern?

Accessories Beginner CMOS Equipment Imaging Planet Video Astronomy
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wakayama, Japan

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:49 PM

Hello, 

I recently got a ZWO ASI290MM for planetary imaging and have been doing some dry runs to see how it will run in FireCapture. However, upon plugging it in and setting up the gain, exposure, etc. for testing I noticed that when I turn on high speed mode (or sometimes just when using the max resolution in normal mode) I get dropped frames and a horizontal glitch pattern across the sensor. It isn't constant, but shows up spastically across parts of the sensor. I should note that I'm using a MacBook Pro from 2017 with 8GB of RAM and an older i5 processor. I messed with the USB Traffic setting and that seemed to help, but even at the lowest setting (40) it still shows the glitch when using high speed mode. Is this simply my laptop can't handle the camera or could it be something to do with the camera itself? 

Any tips would be great. 

JC

#2 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:21 AM

I get dropped frames and a horizontal glitch pattern across the sensor. 

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

ASI290MM Glitched Sensor

If anyone can let me know what this is or if there is a fix that would help a lot. 

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:45 AM

High speed mode and high USB speed need more from machine - USB ports and hard disk need to be up to date.
What kind of fps did you get?

#4 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:50 AM

High speed mode and high USB speed need more from machine - USB ports and hard disk need to be up to date.
What kind of fps did you get?

With High Speed off and the USB Traffic turned down I was getting around 93fps with a 850x850 ROI box. With High Speed on I was getting around 135fps, but the sensor would start dropping frames and start showing the following pattern. The pattern shows up even with High Speed off when using the max sensor resolution. 

Edited by Tartarrsauce, 01 August 2021 - 06:50 AM.

#5 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:11 AM

USB 2 or 3?

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Aurora

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:09 AM

This may indeed be a byproduct of trying to do this on a Mac.  I believe others have noted the ZWO drivers behave peculiarly on a Mac.  Once you find a scenario which works for you, stick with it.

An 850 x 850 ROI sounds awfully large, by the way, at least for planets.

#7 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:15 AM

This may indeed be a byproduct of trying to do this on a Mac.  I believe others have noted the ZWO drivers behave peculiarly on a Mac. 

After doing more research, I've found this to be a more common issue with Mac users due to the nature of MacOS. 

Once you find a scenario which works for you, stick with it.

I found that if I set my USB Traffic to around 80 and don't turn on high speed, I don't get any glitches or dropped frames. I'm assuming this is just a SSD write issue within my particular MacBook Pro. I'm planning on ordering a laptop just for Astro related things - maybe a ThinkPad or The Acer Enduro Urban N3. 

An 850 x 850 ROI sounds awfully large, by the way, at least for planets.

I should also note that I'm using a 2.5x Barlow, so the planets appears rather large on the ASI290MM sensor. I wanted to give a little room, but will try make it smaller and see if that makes any difference the next clear night. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, CMOS, Equipment, Imaging, Planet, Video Astronomy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics