•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Mini Mosaic - Lagoon Neighborhood

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:05 AM

This is my first mosaic.  It's only two panels so far.  All subs were 20 seconds captured with an unmodded Nikon D750 and zoom lens at 150 mm on tracked but not guided using no software for anything during capture.  Calibrated with flats, darks, and dark bias.  Stacked in DSS and processed in Startools and Affinity:

gallery_346692_17352_3505231.jpg

The left side is 1 hour and 40 minutes of data and the right side is 2 hours of subs.  So, it's not perfect and a bit noisy, but I'm fairly happy with it considering what equipment I'm using now and I've only been at this for 7 months.  I hope to get better with these over time.

My fairly powerful laptop was straining a bit with this though.  I'm not sure I can add another panel or not.   I'll try though.

• limeyx likes this

#2 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:54 AM

Tough crowd here.  ;)

#3 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:17 PM

Any comments or suggestions???

#4 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:56 PM

Well I don't really have any wide field experience to speak with any authority on it.  But..maybe a little color oversaturation on the lagoon and other red nebula areas?  And perhaps actual oversaturation on the lagoon core, since it seems to be just bright white?  Unsure if that's baked into the subs you took, or was a result of stretching and can perhaps be ameliorated with something like the HDR module.

I also don't quite know what Affinity is doing post-ST.

The rest of it - is that IFN?  Never captured any myself, but it seems a bit "choppy."  Unless it is supposed to be?

#5 sbharrat

sbharrat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:41 AM

Tough crowd here.  wink.gif

Never did a mosaic so my opinion isn't worth much. And I am not familiar with the target, making it even less so. But FWIW, I can't tell where your left panel ends and your right panel starts so that should mean something...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics