•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Remote desktop / camera issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheSheriff

TheSheriff

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Duck Football Country

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:19 AM

Running windows 10 pro remote desktop on a computer I plan to use in a ROR build on my property this fall.  I have been connecting to it  for 4-5 months to install my AP software while I have been collecting some new equipment and waiting to build.  I have had zero issues connecting, moving files, etc.  I have been on wi-fi, but final install will be wired.

I just received a new imaging camera and wanted to test it, and my existing guide camera through the remote computer.  Both are ZWO... 2600MM and 290MM.  With my laptop on, I turn on the remote comp with both USB to the cameras already plugged in, OR, I turn on the remote, get a connection, and then plug in the cameras.  Either way, RDT looses connection within 30 seconds of the former example, and almost immediately with the latter.  This is BEFORE I even try to connect the cameras in software.

I realize there is a S@#% ton of information I'm not including, but I was wondering if there is a known thing, or simple thing I might be missing?

#2 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:23 AM

Not a lot to go on here, so I'll take a stab that perhaps you are getting interference between the USB 3.0 device and 2.4ghz wifi.  Can you try the same test over ethernet or 5ghz wifi?

#3 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:11 PM

There have been quite a few people reporting WiFi being affected when using the ZWO cameras because of the poor quality (inside) of the supplied flat cable. The cable does not have the shielding required by the USB 3 spec. There was a thread here with pictures of the cable's innards and a comparison with a proper cable. I have not experienced the interference myself, but I replaced the cable with a quality one anyway.

• Bob Denny likes this

#4 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:56 PM

Are you using the 'internal' wifi on the scope computer?

Maybe try broadcasting from an external wireless router at the mount to your control room.  5ghz band if you can.

#5 TheSheriff

TheSheriff

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Duck Football Country

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:54 PM

Not a lot to go on here, so I'll take a stab that perhaps you are getting interference between the USB 3.0 device and 2.4ghz wifi.  Can you try the same test over ethernet or 5ghz wifi?

It was the wifi.

I will also be replacing the USB3 cables.  Thanks all for the help.... saved me a ton of troubleshooting b/c wifi would not have been near the top of my list.

• sbradley07 and OldManSky like this

#6 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:19 PM

It was the wifi.

I will also be replacing the USB3 cables. Thanks all for the help.... saved me a ton of troubleshooting b/c wifi would not have been near the top of my list.

For perspective, the connections are the problem so often that that should always be the first place to look. Of course if you replace some hardware or software and the problem immediately begins, then look there first. But far and away USB and WiFi are the first place to look. The second is power supplies (wall warts, etc). Check under load. If you have an O-Scope to look for noise or glitches even better.

I hope the above doesn’t seem condescending.
  • rgsalinger and TheSheriff like this

#7 grubba

grubba

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:44 PM

Signal noise from USB 3 is in the 2.4/2.5GHz range. I've had GPS signal loss in the past because of a rather noisy USB 3 presence.

https://www.intel.co...ence-paper.html

• Bob Denny likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics