•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 2080 LX Drive System Serial #803887 with completely different front.

Meade Classic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MikeF

MikeF

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bohol, Philippines

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:36 AM

Here is a real puzzle, I have been looking all over trying to find info on this Meade 2080 LX Drive System with a five prong plug for the hand controller. The Serial number 803887 puts it between the Meade2080 1983/1984 LX/LX2 according to the registry. It has a computer style 3 pronged 120 volt plug on the bottom of the mount. It is not a quartz drive, but the motor runs when pugged in even without the the hand controller. The inside has primitive connections for the hand controller that looks like a rates nest and only minor resisters connecting to the power supply and motor. Has any one seen pictures of this unit and what type of hand controller that goes with it? It is all original and the metal case for the mount has not been modified so I assume this must be a very limited addition mount that was developed before the quartz drives became common. Anyone having a clue - would be much appreciated!

Michael C. Fidler

MeadeLXDriveSystem.jpg Meade2080LXDrive.jpg

Edited by MikeF, 01 August 2021 - 05:47 AM.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#2 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:13 AM

I have never seen an LX drive base like that before! That is AWESOME!

My guesses would be:

1) a prototype / predecessor of the LX3

2) a really, really good custom job

If it's #1, then there's no telling how many might be in the wild. Hopefully someone with insider knowledge will see this thread and solve the mystery - but it is very exciting!

I wonder if an LX3 hand controller would work with your mount? Your controller plug has 5 pins just like the LX3. The LX5 and LX6 used a 7-pin plug.

Thank you very much for sharing this awesome scope. I hope you find out it's origin story.

Clear skies!

Rick

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:24 AM

I wonder if this is an example of the illusive LX2. I have an original LX and it looks nothing like this. It looks like a transition between the LX and LX3.

Neat stuff.
  • Rick-T137 likes this

#4 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:30 AM

I wonder if this is an example of the illusive LX2. I have an original LX and it looks nothing like this. It looks like a transition between the LX and LX3.

Neat stuff.

That's an interesting thought! I believe the LX2 was essentially a "package" that came with a bigger finder and better eyepieces over the base LX. And I think I've seen pictures of an LX2, and they visually look identical to the LX. But I'm not completely sure - I'll have a dig through my emails to see if I can find something to back that up.

Clear skies!

Rick

#5 MikeF

MikeF

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bohol, Philippines

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:24 AM

I've been looking at the plug for HC and not the same as 5 pin design, but looking closely at it I can see three filled in places for pins above and the first two holes that 180 degrees apart with 3 pin holes below. Could this be a modified 7 pin from a LX5? The question is would it have to of been cut thru the front area of an LX or LX2. I have not taken of the front panel off but just the bottom one that has the 120V plug attached to it. Could there be something inside that would give a better idea if it was modified?

Tomorrow I will take off the covers and photograph the insides. I'm also trying to find how to take off the gearbox from the top, tried but only got thru the 2 screws cover and then the one screw and large washer.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:09 AM

I just took a closer look at my LX. The base is nearly identical to the one shown above, but there are _no_ ports of any kind. The finder is mounted on a rail like this one. Other distinguishing features include the secondary having only 2 adjustment screws (left/right, up/down), the focuser travel is shorter than the LX3, and the threads on the rear port are _slightly_ different than the 'standard' SCT rear port making the addition of different backs a bit hit and miss.

My baby...

LX 2080 (2-16-2020)-1.jpg

Serial number: 801334

Edited by jgraham, 01 August 2021 - 10:11 AM.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#7 chthonic65

chthonic65

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ, USA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:10 AM

That plate that reads "LX Drive System" really sticks out.  There's another example of it here.  And it's in the same S/N range.

Otherwise, notice "reticule" on the panel.  All the images in the registry show Meade spelling it "reticle".  To me, that seems aftermarket.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#8 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:17 PM

That plate that reads "LX Drive System" really sticks out.  There's another example of it here.  And it's in the same S/N range.

Otherwise, notice "reticule" on the panel.  All the images in the registry show Meade spelling it "reticle".  To me, that seems aftermarket.

Good eye! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, Classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics