•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Found this.. a what's it.... definitely old..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:28 AM

While traveling through the Adirondacks  yesterday   and rummaging through a this and that antique shop, I came upon this.

No name,  suspect its military.... what's interesting as a place where the paint was worn off on the mount , the yolk and arm in iron, while the base, BRASS and what looked to be copper handles( not sure)..  a  bit pricey  at $450.  Does come with a wooden case and a canvas cover. Found no nametags, no ID..  nice wooden tripod....

So what is it.. looks to be 35 or 40 mm.IMG_20210731_132459374.jpg IMG_20210731_132532215.jpg

• steve t, RichA, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#2 kansas skies

kansas skies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:41 AM

Possibly something used for surveying?

Bill

#3 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:02 AM

Military.  There've been similar scopes posted before.  This one looks to be in much better condition & completeness than usual.  One of my cousins is a retired Army officer -- he'd probably put it on display in his man cave.  He'd probably pay $450, but he ain't right in the head...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 01 August 2021 - 11:03 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#4 Jim45157

Jim45157

Explorer 1

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:05 AM

i have a tripod just like that its very old was given to me me long time ago i thing its a surveying tripod dont know about the scope 

#5 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:07 AM

The military are pretty good about IDing things, look around under the usually thick

paint for name and/or numbers.

Robert

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

Shoot!  If that Tripod is complete, it could be worth $250 by itself.  I've become a fan of wood surveyor tripods in my old age -- CZJ was on to something with their Telementors & such.

#7 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:33 AM

Contacted the owner of the shop , he claims it's not a survey scope. It does have a degree ring at the bottom base though painted over...that's in BRASS.   From what is known, came from an estate here in upstate Albany area,  and was repainted sometime in the 1940s 1950s.... with a fine brush on paint that's now flaking off.. would be an excellent and easy restore if I knew what I was dealing with.

The rest unknown... I will try and get it for 1/2 of $450 first.  The tripod is excellent condition, as is the box and canvas cover,

But NO NAME....

• steve t, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#8 Star Shooter

Star Shooter

Vostok 1

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:57 AM

I dub thee "Tri-Foot" the tripod. by all the authority in vested in me, the King of Nonsense of Nowhere. 

There, now it is named. Problem Solved. bow.gif  lol.gif

• steve t likes this

#9 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:15 PM

I dub thee "Tri-Foot" the tripod. by all the authority in vested in me, the King of Nonsense of Nowhere. 

There, now it is named. Problem Solved. bow.gif  lol.gif

Seriously,  if I knew what it was, ( NAME, BRAND)  I could determine it's worth. And consider a buy.  Not willing to risk $$$ for an India made knockoff  or some mundane scope  for widow display in a high end fashion store... which is where a lot of these seem to show up, or some rich guys beach house to gape at the swim suits :)...

Collector not?  

#10 kansas skies

kansas skies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:58 PM

At 35-40mm, it must have been intended for daytime terrestrial use, which is why I wondered if it might be used for surveying (even military). I wonder if the eyepiece contains some form of reticle, as this might help to ascertain its intended use.

Bill

• steve t and Stevegeo like this

#11 Spectral Joe

Spectral Joe

Messenger

• Loc: Livermore CA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 01:37 PM

A classic, in three distinct parts. The bottom half is military, the tripod is a Type G, used to mount the M1915 Battery Commander's Telescope or the M1 Aiming Circle. The M1915 is actually an odd looking binocular that looks like rabbit ears and the M1 is a crude sort of surveying instrument used to orient field artillery batteries. On top of the tripod is the base of an M1915, but from there up is a post-GI construction having little relation to the bottom. Jaegers used to sell this and other hybrids from the 1950s until the 1980s, they would have castings made to adapt surplus stuff to civilian use, and use surplus optics to make instruments to go on the tripods. The telescope here is an example of this sort of thing. The military would have no use for this as it sits, their approach to optics is wide field of view with good light grasp, something a long refractor like this didn't have. Military optics slower than F/5 are uncommon. As for surveying, anyone that has done any surveying would recognize this as impractical for that purpose. It's a Jaegers (or someone like them) hybrid using surplus parts.

Edited by Spectral Joe, 01 August 2021 - 01:39 PM.

• steve t, rcwolpert, dgreyson and 3 others like this

#12 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:38 PM

One sold on ebay Dec, 2020 for only $147 with box and I believe it was mentioned in the ads forum.

WW-1-1.jpg

Whatever their origins it was obviously sold from a civilian company since it included these instruction.

WWI-3.jpg

Claimed to be a Wide Angle Telescope.

Edited by Kasmos, 01 August 2021 - 02:39 PM.

• steve t, mdowns, badback and 8 others like this

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:01 PM

...I think I must be tired from this morning's imaging session still...reading the instructions I thought one of them said "Gear release for free paranormal travel.bigshock.gif rofl2.gif

I do like the little sketch showing the magnification expected - but how wide an angle could that scope actually have?!? smile.gif

• steve t likes this

#14 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Kasmos,

Saved me from pulling the trigger to buy .

Many clear nites to you!! 

• Kasmos likes this

#15 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:57 PM

Whether I deserve thanks or not is questionable grin.gif... since I don't know what it's true value is, just reporting what I saw. 

IMO, Ya can't own them all and space is limited, so if something pops up that's not been on my radar, it has to be in the too good to resist column for me to jump on it.

#16 Gordon Shumwy

Gordon Shumwy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:42 AM

In the early 1950's Criterion marketed a 1.6" f/25 refractor and I seem to recall United Trading Co. (Unitron) also selling a very similar refractor. The old mystery scope isn't one of those, but most likely uses the same WW2 surplus achromatic lens and other ex-military parts. At the time, there were many small companies selling small refractor telescopes and many of them used military surplus components. Very old issues of Sky&Telescope are fun to browse for them. 

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics