•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help! Ugly gradient lines after stacking multiple nights in DSS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hdoraisamy

hdoraisamy

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast Pennsylvania (Bortle 5)

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:39 AM

Hi

I was attempting to image the veil nebula with my Canon EOS Rebel T6 (modified) with a 200mm Pentax prime lens on a Skyguider Pro with iPolar. I got good polar alignment and captured approximately 24 min of light subs for the 1st night and 30 min of subs for the second night.

When I tried stacking them in DSS, I put the 2 nights in separate "groups". I used the same darks, bias and flats from night 1. The temperature was not much different.

However, as you can see, DSS ends up creating an ugly gradient below

problem

I looked at my subs in more detail. The subs in night#1 have a different reddish tinge than the subs in night #2 as you can see below

reel1
reel2

I tried using different stacking techniques - Standards, Mosaic, Intersection, but no joy! I think the color difference between the 2 nights messed me up. Same results with Sequatror.

I do not know why this exists? Light pollution? The moon was not out either of these nights

How can I correct this? Is there is specific workflow? I only have DSS, Lightroom and Photoshop.

For the record, both sets give me a nice image of the veil complex, but i want the combined stacked image to reduce the noise.

Appreciate your guidance! Thank you so much!

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:24 AM

Do you mean the area I have bordered with the white lines ?

2ndJuly.jpg

This is because your camera was at different angles of rotation on the two sessions.

In DSS you can select a number of final framings.

If you select Intersection mode you will get the area where the two night's images are matched.

2ndJulyB.jpg

#3 adosaj

adosaj

Vostok 1

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:57 AM

I use APP for data reduction and there is a parameter when you are integrating all the subs into one that basically sets the background value by looking at the local neighboring pixels. There must be a similar parameter in DSS. It blends the two nights’ backgrounds evenly. 

Anil

• hdoraisamy likes this

#4 hdoraisamy

hdoraisamy

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast Pennsylvania (Bortle 5)

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:40 AM

Do you mean the area I have bordered with the white lines ?

If you select Intersection mode you will get the area where the two night's images are matched.

That is correct - I tried intersection as you suggested. It fixed the problem with the color gradient :) But it made the stars bloated and less focused. I also have weird issues around the corners. If I stacked each night separately, they came out very well. 

See result of stacking by intersection (with darks, flats and bias)

bloated stars

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics