•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2nd imaging camera setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:21 AM

Hello. I'm moving my guide camera (Orion SSAG) to an OAG and getting rid of the guidescope. My main imaging camera is an ASI 183GT.

I would like to put one of those 40 or 30mm Askar or Tpo ED refractors where the guidescope used to be and put a OSC behind it for some super wide angle.

I image with voyager. Can it image with two cameras at a time? Should I buy another ZWO camera or another brand so I don't have driver issues? Does it matter? And another question, could I image with my mono camera and live stack real time with the color camera for outreach?

If I'm confusing this, let me know and I will clarify. I've been asked by a couple of the state parks I volunteer at to put one or two astronomy nights on the parks calender. I want to run an hdmi cable from my little telescope PC to a TV screen and live stack for those that come by to check it out. Getting some extra data is just a bonus.

If this is a retarded idea, let me know. And before you all say it, I know I'll be pushing the limits of my mount, but next year I am looking to get a mount with a heavier payload. I live and travel in the RV and don't want a 2nd tripod, mount, scope, etc.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:32 AM

Minor point.  You say in the text you're guiding with an SSAG, but in your signature, it's a 178.  An OAG will not work well with the ancient SSAG.  It needs a more sensitive camera than a guidescope does.

#3 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:29 AM

I've got the SSAG and the 178mm. I've used both as a guide cam and I'm currently using the 178. I havnt really noticed a difference with one working better than the other, but there's probably more going on behind the scenes IN PHD2 than I realize.

I figured I'd have to use the SSAG because I wasn't sure how the 178 would mount on the OAG. I got that SSAG 2yrs ago, I didn't realize it was obsolete.

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

I've got the SSAG and the 178mm. I've used both as a guide cam and I'm currently using the 178. I havnt really noticed a difference with one working better than the other, but there's probably more going on behind the scenes IN PHD2 than I realize.

I figured I'd have to use the SSAG because I wasn't sure how the 178 would mount on the OAG. I got that SSAG 2yrs ago, I didn't realize it was obsolete.

For an OAG, it is.  This works fine, many people use it as an OAG guide camera.  Sensitive, useful shape.  If you need to, it can be binned to emulate larger pixels.

https://astronomy-im...290mm-mini-mono

I use a 174, but my Celestron OAG has an unusually large prism which can use the big chip.  It's also expensive.

Edited by bobzeq25, 02 August 2021 - 11:15 AM.

#5 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:24 PM

So, an update. I got the OAG and was able to mount my 178mm to it. It was alot simpler to set up than I thought it would be. Did it in the daylight, wouldnt want to set that up at night.

Removed the guidescope and took the opportunity to move some things around to help with balence.

On to the OAG. I though my guiding was pretty good before the switch. My guiding last night with the OAG was a significant improvement. My RMS Error (px) total used to average 1.21. Last night the reported total error was .51.
  • bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics