•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Esprit 120 focuser knob rubber spares

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rodrigol

rodrigol

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:44 AM

Hi,

The rubber rings on my Esprit 120 focuser knobs have desintegrated. Does anyone know if one can get spares for these? I'm happy to use O-rings to replace these but, should I want to sell the scope one day I'd like to have the original rubber rings.

Kind regards,

R. 

• Pompey Monkey likes this

#2 Pompey Monkey

Pompey Monkey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:19 AM

Same happened to my Esprit 80.

I will report back if i find anything.

• rodrigol likes this

#3 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:04 PM

The same thing happened to my Esprit 100. I use it for AP and the motor is installed on the other knob, so I never really use it manually. But it would be nice to be able to replace that rubber band, I was thinking if it is possible to replace the whole knob.

• nemo129 likes this

#4 Loren Toole

Loren Toole

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico USA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:50 PM

I own a Espirit 120 purchased in 2016... the focuser grip bands did literally fall off after a couple of years. But they didn't disintegrate, the rubber just separated along one clean break. I think SW's adhesive is really poor and it can't hold the rubber rigidly to prevent breakage.

Knowing that this would be hard to replace, I used double-sided tape and very carefully wrapped the bands back on the metal knob which was first wrapped with a tape layer. This worked, and I haven't had any additional problem with the grip bands since then (probably at least two years). I'd recommend that you try to salvage the factory-supplied bands if they can be re-used.... the rubber seems to be durable if it's tightly bound to the knob.

Loren

Edited by Loren Toole, 02 August 2021 - 09:50 PM.

• rodrigol likes this

#5 rodrigol

rodrigol

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:45 AM

First Light optics (FLO) has contacted the SW distributor in the UK. The rubber grips exist as spare parts and can be purchased for £4 each in the UK. FLO are getting 2 for me. 

I hope this helps.

R:)

• nemo129 and BobT like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics