•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pelican Bi-Color Image with Stellarvue SV80ST2

Astrophotography CMOS DSO Imaging Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:53 AM

This was from some data that I collected back in May and June of 2021 using a 0.8X reduced Stellarvue SV80ST2 and a ZWO ASI183MM Pro camera. I'm still working on collecting more subs but this shows what I could do with about nine hours of combined Ha and OIII (5h15m on Ha, 4h OIII). It took me several days to get this number of OIII subs since my sessions kept getting interrupted with low-level, marine-layer clouds. However, the weather for the next few days looks quite promising so I should be able to round out the OIII and maybe even collect some more Ha (which would be useful since all of the previous Ha was taken during a 90% full moon).

Back in May I posted the result using just the Ha, here is that link:

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11122404

Image capture using Sequence Generator Pro, processing with PixInsight, Affinity Photo, and Photoshop CC2021.

Thanks for looking and C&C welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pelican Nebula Bi-Color (small).jpg

Edited by james7ca, 02 August 2021 - 11:12 AM.

• Stellarvue, Jim Waters, mikewayne3 and 12 others like this

#2 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:22 AM

Looking real good.  Are you planning on getting S2 or sticking with HOO?

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:29 AM

Looking real good.  Are you planning on getting S2 or sticking with HOO?

Thanks, I plan on doing only bi-color (Ha,Ha+OIII,OIII).

• JamesTX and xEOIx like this

#4 lucam

lucam

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:25 PM

That's great work, James. Very balanced composition and presentation. Do you have a larger image posted anywhere on the web?

Luca

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:38 PM

Luca, thanks for the notice and to everyone else thank you for the likes.

As for a larger image, the above is kind of a preview since I still have more subs to add and this version didn't get as much care in the processing as I would try for a final presentation. I will likely do a larger crop of just the "head," since that contains some interesting filaments and structure. Also, next time I'll post this image in my CN gallery so that I can get a 1600 pixel height, instead of the 1200 pixels that is allowed in the forums (I don't know why the limits are different, the forums should allow both 1600 x 1200 and 1200 x 1600, but they don't as the height can only be a maximum of 1200 pixels).

Edited by james7ca, 03 August 2021 - 06:35 AM.

• lucam likes this

#6 Stellarvue

Stellarvue

Vendor (Stellarvue)

• Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:48 PM

Fantastic shot, James! The color palette and framing are spot-on. We'd love to feature this as a Stellar Shot of the Week whenever you feel it is complete too! Just send it over by email with any relevant details to mail@stellarvue.com.

Great work!

#7 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:11 PM

This was from some data that I collected back in May and June of 2021 using a 0.8X reduced Stellarvue SV80ST2 and a ZWO ASI183MM Pro camera. I'm still working on collecting more subs but this shows what I could do with about nine hours of combined Ha and OIII (5h15m on Ha, 4h OIII). It took me several days to get this number of OIII subs since my sessions kept getting interrupted with low-level, marine-layer clouds. However, the weather for the next few days looks quite promising so I should be able to round out the OIII and maybe even collect some more Ha (which would be useful since all of the previous Ha was taken during a 90% full moon).

Back in May I posted the result using just the Ha, here is that link:

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11122404

Image capture using Sequence Generator Pro, processing with PixInsight, Affinity Photo, and Photoshop CC2021.

Thanks for looking and C&C welcomed.

Great shot.. Can you please tell me how I can also use that frame you have around the picture telling us the name and information? Is that custom or an add in to software?

#8 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:23 PM

Stellarvue and ChiTownXring thanks.

As for the frame, that was done in Photoshop using ProDigital Software's Astronomy Tools plugin. However, if you have Photoshop or probably any other image editor that supports layers you can do the same by following the instructions in the below link (here on CN):

https://www.cloudyni...post&p=11082857

• Stellarvue likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, DSO, Imaging, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics