•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a picture of your Observatory "Interior". Show us how you organise your space.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:43 AM

Incidentally, one of the best investments I made for my observatory was my Amazon Echo - great for listening to music or the late night radio when observing. It gets used so much. 

Alice Cooper's show on Planet Rock - late at night! rockon.gif

• SimonIRE likes this

#27 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:59 AM

Since my observatory is only 4' x 5', there isn't much to organize.  Still...for small ones, here's what I did.

Pier, control box.  Just enough space on all sides to squeeze by and setup/adjust everything.  

Less to clean smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• obscontrolbox.jpg

Edited by OldManSky, 04 August 2021 - 11:59 AM.

• dmdouglass, R Botero, aaube and 3 others like this

#28 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:00 PM

More pictures folks...

Big, small, round, roll off - 

What clever ways have you come up with to make the most of your observatory space...?

How have you managed all the cables...?

#29 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:01 PM

Since my observatory is only 4' x 5', there isn't much to organize.  Still...for small ones, here's what I did.

Pier, control box.  Just enough space on all sides to squeeze by and setup/adjust everything.  

Less to clean smile.gif

Really like this Paul - I think I have seen this in one of your previous posts. 

Thanks waytogo.gif

Edited by SimonIRE, 04 August 2021 - 12:01 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#30 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:08 PM

While this is not what the OP was looking for, I have what might be called a micro (or even nano) observatory. It houses the G11 mount & HC, NUC computer and 18VDC & 12VDC power adapters. It slides off and can become a small table as needed. The scope is stored in the house and out of the elements and attaches with one USB to an on-scope hub and 12VDC plug. 

Man, I checked out your website and had a look at the Crackpot index - that is genius.

Edited by SimonIRE, 04 August 2021 - 12:26 PM.

#31 aaube

aaube

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pointe du Lac, Canada

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:52 PM

Brilliant - this is exactly what I would like to see (and big pictures, perfect). 

May I be bold and ask a few questions - 

- How big is the observing room and the warm room?

- Do you have a separate computer per pier?

- Do you have your computer(s) in the box at the bottom of each pier or in the warm room?

- Any chance of seeing an image of the exterior as well?

Thanks lots for this and apologies for all the questions!

Best, 

Simon

Hi Simon,

The observing room is 12'10'' by 12'10'', the warm room, 7'6'' by 10.

Each pier has it own pc's in the warm room.  Pegasus Power boxes for each setups at the other end.

This had been working well so far but i'd say i'm probably at the limit, distance wise, of what usb3 can achieve

without signal boosters.

I've joined 2 photos of how the outside looks.

Regards,

Alain

Attached Thumbnails

• Aug 2021 Obsy 5.jpg
  • Aug 2021 Obsy 6.jpg

• Applal, R Botero, jdupton and 6 others like this

#32 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:01 PM

Hi Simon,

The observing room is 12'10'' by 12'10'', the warm room, 7'6'' by 10.
Each pier has it own pc's in the warm room. Pegasus Power boxes for each setups at the other end.
This had been working well so far but i'd say i'm probably at the limit, distance wise, of what usb3 can achieve
without signal boosters.

I've joined 2 photos of how the outside looks.

Regards,

Alain

It’s a beauty Alain…pure beauty!

#33 aaube

aaube

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pointe du Lac, Canada

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:04 PM

It’s a beauty Alain…pure beauty!

Thanks!

#34 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:53 PM

How have you managed all the cables...?

All my cables to the pier run under the floor.  I was worried about rodents gnawing on them, so they are all in conduit.  There are three conduits to the pier: one each for 120v AC, 12v DC, and data.  The data conduit is larger than the power ones, to facilitate pulling USB connectors.

My underground cables come up inside the walls.

#35 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:26 PM

Incidentally, one of the best investments I made for my observatory was my Amazon Echo - great for listening to music or the late night radio when observing. It gets used so much. 

I'm currently building my permanent dome, but when I'm on battery power I *love* using Alexa controlled smart plugs to turn on / turn off the whole kit to minimize battery drain. Ready to start my imaging session? "Alexa, turn on the telescope."

• mikerepp and OldManSky like this

#36 kpem

kpem

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 August 2021 - 01:51 PM

This is the "clutter corner" (my wife's apt description) of my 16x10, two pier ROR. The metal drawer set is a garage-type tool chest from the local Lowes. It's set up on 4x4 wood blocks to get the top to a standard counter height, and the table was built to match. Lots of clean storage space. The stainless-steel top is connected to power ground through an isolation resistor, and serves as an ESD-safe workspace, if that is ever needed. Each pier has a shelf set on the south side for power supplies, controllers or whatever other purpose. It's all cozy, but works well.

Attached Thumbnails

• Desk and stuff.jpg
  • E-pier table.jpg

• Cyrano, drprovi57, MHamburg and 6 others like this

#37 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2021 - 02:24 AM

This is the "clutter corner" (my wife's apt description) of my 16x10, two pier ROR. The metal drawer set is a garage-type tool chest from the local Lowes. It's set up on 4x4 wood blocks to get the top to a standard counter height, and the table was built to match. Lots of clean storage space. The stainless-steel top is connected to power ground through an isolation resistor, and serves as an ESD-safe workspace, if that is ever needed. Each pier has a shelf set on the south side for power supplies, controllers or whatever other purpose. It's all cozy, but works well.

This is great - any images of your piers and scopes? :)

Thanks for sharing!

Simon

#38 kpem

kpem

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:17 PM

This is great - any images of your piers and scopes? smile.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Simon

Thanks, Simon! My C14 E-HD is on the east pier and my12.5 D-K Cass. is on the west.  I posted a close-up of the 12.5 D-K in the ATM, Optics and DIY forum in the" Post a picture of your homemade scope" #1678. The C14 is set up for imaging, and I use the D-K for visual observing.

Attached Thumbnails

• C14_1120_cn.jpg
  • 12.5 dk_6.JPEG

• dmdouglass, R Botero, aaube and 4 others like this

#39 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:25 AM

I love the tiled piers...gives me ideas! :)

• archer1960 and SimonIRE like this

#40 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:36 AM

These give you a sense of my humble above the garage ROR observatory which is over 20 feet above street level.  It has all of the essentials:

• split AC unit
  • dehumidifier
  • refrigerator
  • reclining chairs to visually observe the night sky
  • monitor, desk, cabinet for stuff
  • red lights and tons of outlets
  • cement pier (only carpet, not fancy tile (which really looks cool by the way :-) with adjustable steel pier
  • ability to transmit images live to inside the house family room TV screen
  • black shades on three windows which are controlled via wifi

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1051.jpg
  • IMG_1048.jpg
  • IMG_1046.jpg
  • IMG_1047.jpg
  • IMG_1045.jpg

• R Botero, aaube, mikerepp and 5 others like this

#41 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:51 AM

Bruce, 

Thats beautiful - in fact I saw yours a while back when doing research. You built this on top of your garage?

Because you have your scope so high up, it frees all the space along the walls at ground level and presumably up to "head" level - 

In mine, the scope is lower so all decisions about cabinets and storage along the walls have to take the pier and scope into account. 

• Umasscrew39 likes this

#42 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 16 August 2021 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Simon.  Mine is by no means perfect or a work of art but I like it and more importantly, it works!  

That is correct- on top of my4-car garage.  It was the only way to avoid the high trees and I also like the safety aspect of it.  At ground level we have seasonal bears but always have snakes and other critters.  

#43 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:14 AM

This is a drone shot of my shared 20x20 observatory. It's not nearly as neat as the others but it's been working nicely for me from 90 miles away for over 2 years now. It's a renovation of one that was built about 40 years ago so we really didn't have the ability to do everything we wanted in terms of aesthetics and/or wiring, etc. There's a large 20x20 warming room at the back with cots, coffee, frig, etc. 

drone_observatory.jpg

Rgrds-Ross

• R Botero, aaube, mikerepp and 1 other like this

#44 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:40 AM

This is a drone shot of my shared 20x20 observatory. It's not nearly as neat as the others but it's been working nicely for me from 90 miles away for over 2 years now. It's a renovation of one that was built about 40 years ago so we really didn't have the ability to do everything we wanted in terms of aesthetics and/or wiring, etc. There's a large 20x20 warming room at the back with cots, coffee, frig, etc. 

attachicon.gifdrone_observatory.jpg

Rgrds-Ross

Very cool Ross - 

Do you have someone onsite or close by that will visit if you need something adjusted?

Also - how tight is your security? I am going on vacation in a few days (my first in 3 years, so since I have had my observatory) and I am thinking about security. 

#45 mutairy

mutairy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 August 2021 - 05:25 AM

attachicon.gifdrone_observatory.jpg

Rgrds-Ross

Very nice !!

do you mind me asking if you can share the blueprint of the build? looking to build something similar in size :D

#46 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:05 PM

here's an older shot of mine.  There's also more on my observatory website:  http://www.stellar-j...olar/Bwwso1.htm

Seems like every few years, I re-arrange things,,, lol

Attached Thumbnails

• remod2.jpg

#47 Stozhary

Stozhary

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:10 PM

These give you a sense of my humble above the garage ROR observatory which is over 20 feet above street level.  It has all of the essentials:

• split AC unit
  • dehumidifier
  • refrigerator
  • reclining chairs to visually observe the night sky
  • monitor, desk, cabinet for stuff
  • red lights and tons of outlets
  • cement pier (only carpet, not fancy tile (which really looks cool by the way :-) with adjustable steel pier
  • ability to transmit images live to inside the house family room TV screen
  • black shades on three windows which are controlled via wifi

Never understood folks who spent hundreds if not thousand dollars to build observatory and did not paint interior walls.

You did nice job, paid attention to details, like baseboards ceiling, insulated walls etc. I hope it will last for long time.

Thanks

Stozhary

• Umasscrew39 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics