•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First time in 20 years

Beginner Celestron Observing Planet
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 BJ4232

BJ4232

Sputnik

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:22 AM

There’s definitely something wrong and I know my equipment is functioning as when I did my red dot alignment on a house over a quarter mile away, I could see and align everything through my scope.  Clearly this is human error but I will keep at it tonight.  Thanks.

If you are still having issues once you confirm you are on the right object, I would look at other possibilities.

Possible Collimation issues?

This would prevent you from getting a clear view. 

Many posts on CN on how to check and to correct it.

Can you at least see moons of Jupiter?

Both Jupiter's Moons and Saturn's Rings are visible from almost anywhere, with most telescopes, regardless of the light pollution issues. 

(BTW- where are you located to be getting so many clear nights for Saturn- here in the south Louisiana area, I haven't seen much in 2 months due to cloudy skies...  frown.gif )

• Echolight likes this

#27 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:18 PM

I’m really excited and hopeful for the rest of the season! Let’s count these as scrimmage games, with 162 real games left!

#28 GGK

GGK

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:27 PM

I did try this (focus knob turned all the way in one direction and then the painful slow turns the other way) and then I would see simply at one point a small circle which as I continued to focus would then turn into a bright star/dot in my scope.  If I continued to turn the knob in the same direction, that small bright spot would then begin to slightly enlarge into a small circle and then fade away.  I am going to do it again tonight and try a different eyepiece but thanks for the guidance.  

This description sounds like you're viewing a star, which is a point of light when in focus.  When you see that point of light and defocus it, do you see one of the pics in the attached picture set?  These are pics of defocused stars slightly out of focus in different seeing conditions and collimation.  As you progress further out of focus, the "donut" will continue to grow and fade until you see nothing.  Returning to focus will bring back a focused star, which is a point of light.  

Definitely try a different eyepiece.  Also, Vega is nice and bright in the sky right now and stands out among other stars in the eyepiece.  Check if you can point to Vega easily to test your finder alignment.  Vega will stand out in the eyepiece when in focus.  If all the stars look the same, you aren't pointing to Vega.

Attached Thumbnails

• Collimination.jpg

Edited by GGK, 04 August 2021 - 03:28 PM.

#29 Realfan

Realfan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:59 PM

I want to thank everyone for their input.  I've been unable to get back to viewing the skies due to work but I hope to try again over the weekend and report back.

• Echolight likes this

#30 GGK

GGK

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:47 PM

I want to thank everyone for their input.  I've been unable to get back to viewing the skies due to work but I hope to try again over the weekend and report back.

Yes, unfortunately that work stuff gets in the way of my viewing time quite often too.  But I guess it IS what pays for the hobby.undecided.gif

#31 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:06 AM

Agree with others assessments. SkySafari was misguiding you. 

I doubt light pollution is an issue. It usually does not affect planetary viewing. Since both planets are low in the sky increasing magnification will most likely make the viewing worse. At least, a big jump in mag will. I would suggest saving up for a couple more eyepieces to fill the existing gap or you can look into a zoom eyepiece. Those usually don't give as crisp views as fixed eyepieces but it can work for the meantime

#32 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:23 AM

Me too. I went out with my little 10x42 binoculars for a while tonight and kicked back in my zero gravity chair and just took in some stars.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Celestron, Observing, Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics