•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Choose between IOptron CEM70 & Celestron CGXL

Astrophotography Celestron DSO EQ Equipment Mount Planetarium Polar Alignment SCT
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 arshadwm

arshadwm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:47 PM

I purchased IOptron CEM 70 G a week ago and havent used it yet. I’m old user of Celestron Alt Azm Mount with Wedge but my experience with that mount was not good. Lots of disconnections and errors. I planned to buy a new EQ mount and bought IOptron CEM70 G. 

The only thing in Celestron I liked was Starsense technology with All Star Polar Alignment and their Apps and CPWI software that made my life very easy to operate and align Celestron but the faults were not acceptable. I wanted to try Celestron CGXL but my past experience with Alt Azm Mount didn’t permit me to buy CGXL as I didn’t want to take risk. Though IOptron has lot of other features with built in gps and WiFi as well as I polar. 

The telescope company has offered me an exchange if I want to buy CGXL. I’m confused and would like to have your advises to take the decisions. 

should I send  iOptron cem70 back and replace with Celestron CGXL? 

Edited by arshadwm, 02 August 2021 - 03:48 PM.

#2 JTank70

JTank70

Vostok 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:38 PM

Have you had a problem with the iOptron? (the reason they offer the exchange).

I have been a user of Celestron mounts for a while although not the CGX (never have used one).  I currently have the CGEM II and the Evolution Alt/AZ.  I like them.

I now also have two iOptron mounts and I am liking them a lot (possibly more than the Celestron but still clinging on)

Last year I bought the iOptron AZ Mount Pro and it is awesome in my experience.  When starting it up it spins around in a circle to calibrate its gps , and then asks you to choose a bright target from a list to fine tune with.  Very simple to get going.

I also bought a CEM70 not the "G"  for my pier in my pod.  It has the newer circuit boards in it and so far has been flawless for me.  It also weighs in quite a bit less than many of its competitors.  So if it will be portable that is something to consider.  iOptron in Massachusetts has been very responsive to my emails and calls when I have a Question.  I have not had to call Celestron so can not coment there, but they also answer all of my emails although much less timely than iOptron has been.

So, from experience I can say that my CEM70 has been great to use and if you have no reason to make the exchange other than your own doubt/ lack of confidence in the iOptron ,  I would stick with it if I were you.

The CGX is a sweet looking setup as well though, so following your gut feeling may be the path to choose in your situation.     My main reason for responding was to express my recent satisfaction with the CEM70.

Good luck making your decision and have fun with your gear either way.

JT

#3 JTank70

JTank70

Vostok 1

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:43 PM

Also,  once you get your cable managment squared away with the CEM70, you will love that too (the internal cabling).   The value of this feature is underrated until you have a little experience with it and realize how nice it really is.

• limeyx likes this

#4 phileefan

phileefan

Viking 1

• Loc: Williamsport, PA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:49 PM

I purchased IOptron CEM 70 G a week ago and havent used it yet. I’m old user of Celestron Alt Azm Mount with Wedge but my experience with that mount was not good. Lots of disconnections and errors. I planned to buy a new EQ mount and bought IOptron CEM70 G. 

The only thing in Celestron I liked was Starsense technology with All Star Polar Alignment and their Apps and CPWI software that made my life very easy to operate and align Celestron but the faults were not acceptable. I wanted to try Celestron CGXL but my past experience with Alt Azm Mount didn’t permit me to buy CGXL as I didn’t want to take risk. Though IOptron has lot of other features with built in gps and WiFi as well as I polar. 

The telescope company has offered me an exchange if I want to buy CGXL. I’m confused and would like to have your advises to take the decisions. 

should I send  iOptron cem70 back and replace with Celestron CGXL? 

I started out with a Celestron CGEM-DX and never had any issues with it. I too have the StarSense and really like that option. I decided that I wanted to get another mount in the $3000 range so I narrowed my choices down to the CGX-L and a iOptron CEM70G. 

That being said, the CGX-L mounts were back ordered everywhere I looked with no definite time frame on when they'd be back in stock. So I ended up getting the iOptron CEM70G but have not gotten to use it yet due to the weather, but in my opinion the iOptron seems to be a better built mount with better cable management. 

Just my 2 cents............................. 

#5 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:12 PM

I have no experience with the cgx or the cem70 but I do have experience with star sense.  When I first got it, I loved it... but...

Once I started using platesolving for targeting I have not touched it.  For me at least, starsense still has value if I'm using the scope visually.. without a computer connected to the mount.  If your new rig is for deep sky imaging, and you are using a computer (since you mentioned cpwi)..I would not make the purchasing choice based on starsense.  With platesolving, you don't have to burn time doing the alignment or anything like that.  Leaves more time for imaging.

Just my opinion  :)

• JTank70 likes this

#6 JTank70

JTank70

Vostok 1

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:24 PM

I have no experience with the cgx or the cem70 but I do have experience with star sense.  When I first got it, I loved it... but...

Once I started using platesolving for targeting I have not touched it.  For me at least, starsense still has value if I'm using the scope visually.. without a computer connected to the mount.  If your new rig is for deep sky imaging, and you are using a computer (since you mentioned cpwi)..I would not make the purchasing choice based on starsense.  With platesolving, you don't have to burn time doing the alignment or anything like that.  Leaves more time for imaging.

Just my opinion  smile.gif

This is an excellent point to bring up.  I do use the starsense on my Evolution mount, but plate solving makes it redundant to say the least.  There are always many of  Starsense systems in the classifieds here for this reason I believe.

#7 arshadwm

arshadwm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:22 PM

Thank You all. I’ve not even installed it. It’s new so I’ve the option to exchange with CGXL. What I’ve noticed majority of the astronomers are preferring iOptron over Celestron. 

#8 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:43 PM

Just one point. Starsense does not require a computer. Plate Solving does require a computer. So, if the OP is visual only the Celestron would be the better choice. If the use case for the mount is imaging, however, then I can't imagine bothering with it. Just wondering as I read through the thread.

Rgrds-Ross

#9 mborland

mborland

Mariner 2

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:49 PM

I don't have experience with Celestron mounts, but I have a CEM60, which the CEM70 replaces. If the CEM70 is anything like my CEM60, its very quick and easy to polar align using the iPolar device; I usually get to within 2" according to PHD2's guiding assistant. As for tracking, on a night with good seeing I can track at 0.4" rms using a guide scope (SW 50 ED) and 0.25" rms using an OAG.

Reliability is good, though I did have a motor driver board fail about a month after I got it, which I swapped myself using parts sent by iOptron. Based on my experience with the CEM60, I'd buy another iOptron mount if I was in the market.

--Michael

#10 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:15 PM

Why the need to start two threads on this topic?

The better option is to start using your mount. I have never owned anything iOptron but I read a lot of satisfaction and some frustration from users, just like Celestron mounts. Don't get bugged by worries about which is better. You will never get satisfactory responses because experiences differ. Just use your mount.
  • jdhamond and Centaurus Curiosus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Celestron, DSO, EQ, Equipment, Mount, Planetarium, Polar Alignment, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics