•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EAF snags on slow speed

Astrophotography Beginner Equipment Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jatneums

jatneums

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:15 PM

First time with an EAF. bought the ZWO 5 v EAF and have the Radian Raptor. Testing it out with the hand controller, it appears to snag on the slow setting. At first I’m thinking it could be that the unit is “too flush” with the telescope focuser and friction was causing it, but fast works fine apparently. Hand focuser move smooth manually. Locking nuts are tight so I’m at a loss.

Had a thought. I installed it on the coarse focuser side as instructions say, would that have any effect?

Many thanks for any help

Edited by jatneums, 02 August 2021 - 05:18 PM.

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:48 AM

Having it on the coarse focuser side is correct.

I've got a ZWO EAF installed on a Sharpstar 61EDPH-II (twin to your Radian Raptor) -- no issues.

Make sure you have the focuser tension thumbscrew loosened all the way -- I just removed mine.

#3 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:17 PM

Some EAFs have a good bit of backlash which might be noticeable at slow speed, but not at fast speed (assuming you are using the little hand paddle). I’m not clear on what you mean by “snags”, but backlash could mimic it. Otherwise, it might be simple slippage which means tighten the tensioner as has been pointed out. I replaced my tension screw with a socket head Allen screw to get it tighter than possible with the thumbscrew.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Equipment, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics