•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Field Model for planetary observations

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Dente

Anthony Dente

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Moyers, Oklahoma

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:58 PM

Does the Questar Field Model give the same quality planetary views as the 3.5 ..?

Edited by Anthony Dente, 02 August 2021 - 09:38 PM.

#2 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:00 PM

I don't think there is a difference. It is a just a matter of mounting the telescope. The Field model offers more flexibility.

• cbwerner and Anthony Dente like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:12 PM

Yes.  Same scope. Same optics. no mount.

• Anthony Dente likes this

#4 Anthony Dente

Anthony Dente

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:59 PM

Does anyone actually use the Field model just for astronomy...?

#5 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Messenger

• Loc: Santa Cruz and Carmel, CA

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:09 PM

@anthony Dente - I do use my field model exclusively for astronomy.  I use it both on a camera tripod (non goto) and on my iOptron AA-Pro (go to).  It's a great.  What is your concern?

#6 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:11 PM

I have a Questar Duplex, so when detached it is essentially a Field model. They key would be adequate mounting for astronomical use when apart from the mount base.

Steve

#7 Anthony Dente

Anthony Dente

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

@anthony Dente - I do use my field model exclusively for astronomy.  I use it both on a camera tripod (non goto) and on my iOptron AA-Pro (go to).  It's a great.  What is your concern?

My only scope presently is the TMB 115 f/7 CNC Tube.

Over the years I’ve developed Sciatica which makes it hard to carry the heavy TMB.

I intend to acquire the lightest quality scope, Questar Field model, for astronomy.

Also can you direct me to the lightest tripod to use with the Questar FM...?

Thank you

Anthony

#8 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:28 AM

My only scope presently is the TMB 115 f/7 CNC Tube.

Over the years I’ve developed Sciatica which makes it hard to carry the heavy TMB.

I intend to acquire the lightest quality scope, Questar Field model, for astronomy.

Also can you direct me to the lightest tripod to use with the Questar FM...?

Thank you

Anthony

If you are looking for the lightest possible quality telescope and mount, consider a Questar Standard instead of the Field Model.  Here is mine on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod.  The whole arrangement is probably <10 pounds.  The standard mount has tracking, making planetary observation much easier.  Used Questar Standards can be found for <$2000.

You can also table top mount the Questar Standard on its own legs for the very lightest arrangement.

Attached Thumbnails

• DD4F96A5-718F-4ED6-8AD8-640910AC5337.jpeg
  • ED4CE587-E941-448E-9F6B-4B546EAFA8A9.jpeg

Edited by Spikey131, 04 August 2021 - 02:13 PM.

• Erik Bakker, Mike Allen, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#9 gwd

gwd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PyeongTaek ROK

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:26 AM

Does anyone actually use the Field model just for astronomy...?

I’ve had my field model out watching waterfowl twice or three times since 1987.  All the rest has been astronomy use with a 1987 year video camera tripod until about 2006 when Someone gave me a new video tripod.  Around 2007 when I took it to Questar for a tune up I added a 12mm eyepiece.    It’s been my only scope. From time to time I set it up next to larger scopes to see if I want to upgrade.  The improved view never seemed worth the increased hassle, and I feel like I still haven’t used the full capability of the little field model.    If the field model still comes with just the 24mm eyepiece get the 12mm.  If you can afford it go for the full questar experience and get the duplex.  With the power drive you can get even more magnification.  

• Mike Allen, Wisconsin Steve, JamesMStephens and 1 other like this

#10 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:53 PM

I agree on the standard (or Duplex). The total package on a suitable tripod is lighter than any appropriate drive and Mount alternative.
  • Wisconsin Steve and Anthony Dente like this

#11 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:38 AM

I would also go for a Standard Questar. I don't have any first-hand experience with a Duplex, but I have read comments on another thread on this forum (I can't remember where or from who) along the lines of the Duplex being more prone to being bumped off target given the way that the OTA attaches to the fork mount via a knurled thumbscrew instead of being permanently and solidly fixed to the mount.

There is a long-running discussion thread entitled "How is your Questar mounted?" -- have a browse through it and see all the various ways that folks mount their Questars.

In comparison to my Synta-made 4" Mak, which I use on an equatorial mount, setting up my Standard Questar on a tripod and wedge is much, much easier. My Questar is by far my most convenient scope to set up.

• Mike Allen, Terra Nova and Anthony Dente like this

#12 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:23 PM

I would also go for a Standard Questar. I don't have any first-hand experience with a Duplex, but I have read comments on another thread on this forum (I can't remember where or from who) along the lines of the Duplex being more prone to being bumped off target given the way that the OTA attaches to the fork mount via a knurled thumbscrew instead of being permanently and solidly fixed to the mount.

There is a long-running discussion thread entitled "How is your Questar mounted?" -- have a browse through it and see all the various ways that folks mount their Questars.

In comparison to my Synta-made 4" Mak, which I use on an equatorial mount, setting up my Standard Questar on a tripod and wedge is much, much easier. My Questar is by far my most convenient scope to set up.

I bought my secondhand Duplex ages ago because it was available, although I do prefer the design for its versatility.  Yes, you have to exercise care in securing the barrel--the scope, the OTA--to the fork mount.  My method to ensure it's aligned mechanically is to set the scope on a flat table, rotate the dec axis until it reads 90 degrees, set a bullseye level on the lens cap.  Then rotate the scope (RA axis) and make sure the bubble stays centered.  If the bubble wanders loosen the attachment thumbscre slightly, adjust the scope, tighten, repeat the rotation check.  Once you set the scope up use the slow motions so you don't bump the barrel out of alignment.

Jim

Edited by JamesMStephens, 07 August 2021 - 12:10 PM.

• Wisconsin Steve, Terra Nova, Anthony Dente and 1 other like this

#13 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:41 AM

I sorta forget about this, but my Duplex actually started out as a Field model per Jim at Questar.

My signature line has a link with more info about it.

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics