•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

collimation or tracking?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Vulcan900

Vulcan900

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:59 PM

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with an issue I've been having with my photos. I'm getting stars that for lack of a better tern look somewhat like arrow heads/ diamonds. Pointed at the bottom left with a blue tint on the top right most times. My equipment is as follows ES ED80 APO iOptron cem25p WO uniguide scope with ASI120 mini Main camera ASI294MC My polar alignment is usually pretty bang on using the ASIAIR plate solving, my focus is spot on when I use Vega and get a sharp round star image and the guiding from what I understand is good. If it's just an issue of collimation I'll try to take care of that myself and hope I can get round stars. Any input and help will be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm still a newbie to this amazing hobby and journey into the cosmos. I'll attach a pic or two for any scrutiny of the issue. Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• M31 copy.1.jpg
  • NGC6995 v2.0a.jpg

#2 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:54 PM

I think you'll get more replies in https://www.cloudyni...ep-sky-imaging/. The images are quite small as well so it's hard to tell, when you post there, I'd suggest you include crops at 1:1 scale with the areas you're asking about.

One thing to try is to test with targets in various directions of the sky, which makes it easier to tell if it's sagging in the optical train, for instance. You may want to take a photo of the camera's position for each test, so later you can correlate the image orientation with real world orientation.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics