•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dropped frames and lower speeds on usb3 camera

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 m_abukhalid

m_abukhalid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:18 PM

Hello all,

I just got a qhy5iii290m as an upgrade as I am about to switch to an oag setup and was testing the frame rate on it as I would like to use it for planetary as well. Based on the qhyccd website, the camera should be able to achieve 135fps at native resolution of 1920x1080. I have tested this on my mini pc (N5000 processor with 8 gb of ram and samsung 970 evo nvme drive) as well as my Ryzen 9 desktop (128gb ram and samsung 980 pro nvme) . For the setup I basically installed the all in one driver, updated with the ascom 6.5 driver, and let her rip. In both tests I used the same usb cable and got similar results in sharpcap and firecapture.

minipc: 5-10% dropped frames and a maximum of 40fps

desktop: 0% dropped frames and a maximum of 51fps

Did anyone, who is using this camera, get to 135fps with it? The only setting I can find to tweak is the usb speed, but ~50fps seems to be the limit. I am trying to understand why Im seeing the dropped frames on the mini pc even with a 1ft usb cable... I disconnected all other usb devices but that didnt fix it. Advice/Opinions appreciated.

#2 m_abukhalid

m_abukhalid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:44 PM

I reinstalled the driver and rebooted my machine and Im now seeing up to 135fps on my minipc if I set the colorspace to mono8. But I get about a 7% dropped frame rate and sharpcap crashes in about a minute. I wonder if the N5000 chipset might be underpowered for this application...

#3 grubba

grubba

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:10 AM

USB 3 has a maximum bandwidth of 640MB/s. A single, full uncompressed 1920x1080 (16-bit) frame is ~4MB, which implies a maximum of 160fps. When you set to 8-bit, you are halving the bandwidth, which should bring you to 320fps maximum. This, assuming a non existing ideal scenario. Have you tried their own EZCAP_QT software (bypassing any ASCOM stuff)? My hunch is on poorly written middleware. And yes, I doubt the N5000 could handle well an uncompressed full HD stream.

• m_abukhalid likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics