•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Compare Observa Dome vs Ash Dome vs Home Dome

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 starhopper1

starhopper1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:30 PM

Compare a 10 foot Observa dome vs a 10 to 12 foot Ash dome to a 10 or 15 foot Home dome

Edited by starhopper1, 03 August 2021 - 10:18 PM.

#2 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:47 PM

Ash Dome and Piertech Domes have a Galvalume (coated steel) skin.  Observadome has an aluminum skin. Home Dome is a fiberglass dome, so in price point and construction you can only compare the first three,

Vito

Pier-Tech Inc.

#3 MCinAZ

MCinAZ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:01 PM

Ash and Observa-Dome products are built to last decades in nightly use, and are priced accordingly. I don't have any direct experience with Piertech domes. We have a 10' Home Dome which was idle for about ten years but has been in service from sunset to morning twilight for the past year or so. It works well enough, and doesn't appear to be showing any signs of degradation, but it's a lot more fiddly than our other domes. You definitely want to keep some spares on hand if you have one of those.

#4 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:25 PM

Ash and Observa-Dome products are built to last decades in nightly use, and are priced accordingly. I don't have any direct experience with Piertech domes. We have a 10' Home Dome which was idle for about ten years but has been in service from sunset to morning twilight for the past year or so. It works well enough, and doesn't appear to be showing any signs of degradation, but it's a lot more fiddly than our other domes. You definitely want to keep some spares on hand if you have one of those.

Yeah, I got rid of mine. 

It was to much work to keep spare domes on hand. 

Shutter fell off at the least opportune moments.  It did bind making rotation a real issue.  It was for a dome relatively cheap, but really much, much, much more trouble than it was worth.

Support was non-existent since I bought a used dome.

Edited by vsteblina, 03 August 2021 - 09:26 PM.

#5 eastwd

eastwd

Mariner 2

• Loc: Nashville

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:55 PM

Steer clear of the 15 foot Technical Innovations Home Domes or Pro Domes. Over time, they sag under their own weight. Mine’s at a landfill now, and I’ve replaced it with a 14.5 foot Ash Dome that’s wonderful. A casual search of CN threads here will tell you all you need to know about the big TI domes and why you should avoid them.

Larry

#6 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:15 PM

Many of us posted about the problems with Home Dome.  I recently sold mine because it could not keep its shape after Santa Ana winds.  I recently purchased an Astrohaven's 10.5' Clamshell.  I like the idea of not needing the dome to track with the telescope.  I also liked the idea of having the whole sky open to me.  Don't get me wrong,  I did enjoy the view out the shutter of Home Dome.  It just felt like a classical observatory.  It basically comes down to what you can afford.  Home Dome is a good introductory dome.  If you can afford it, reach for a better dome.  10 years ago, home dome was what I could afford.

• Stahi likes this

#7 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Viking 1

• Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:58 PM

Just stay away from Home Dome period.  I have a 10' one.  Has not worked right for years.  The shutter committed suicide last weekend.  Doing a major renovation of it now which should fix it.  Going to see if I can get the whole DDW assembly including motors melted down in a forge and have it made into a boat anchor as that is all it is good for.  ;-)

Put on a MaxDome II controller and putting in a geared assembly for the dome rotation and shutter.

#8 starhopper1

starhopper1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:17 PM

Compare a 10 foot Observa dome vs a 10 to 12 foot Ash dome to a 10 or 15 foot Home dome

Ok thank you for your input. Leave of the talk about the Home Dome aside, but it does have a good feature that the two piece shutter slides up under the other compactly that is a nice feature and it is lower cost. But let's leave the discussion there and just compare the Ash Dome and Observa Dome in the 3 and 4 or even up to a 5 meter size. I think Observa Dome is better looking because of it's shiny aluminum finish. Also it seems to have a faster slue speed for tackling fast objects. Also in the Observa Dome automation package there is a option for a solar panel w/ battery backup for emergency shutter control. But the Observa Dome's 3 meter is 9' 10" and the Ash Dome 3 Meter is 10'6".The Ash Dome has a two piece shutter with A & B type option. The A can stay in place on the bottom or can be manually attached to the upper shutter but could obstruct the zenith. The B shutter option is hinged at the bottom and can be lowered down separately. Also the ASH Dome also offers an optional larger shutter size which is a nice option.  I just want to compare attributes and specifications and opinions I'm shopping.

#9 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:25 PM

Another option for you to look at might be the 11 foot 6 inch ExploraDome.  (Think it's called ExploraDome II.)  Many of us have operated the 8 foot version for years.  It's a poly plastic dome, quite thick.  I had hail a few years ago that bashed out car windshields in the area, and dented metal roofs.  It just happily bounced off my poly ExploraDome.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics