•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Super Mount astro carbon tripod

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here had used Super Mount's large carbon tripod for astronomy.  How do you think about it?  What's your experience?  Is it really rigid enough after putting 20 to 40 kg of equipment on it?  That company seems to have collaboration with Rainbow Astro.  If the tripod is used with a harmonic drive mount, the load can be quite imbalanced.  How does it perform under such imbalance?

Thanks.

#2 Yasuhiko

Yasuhiko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kanagawa, Japan

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:34 AM

I am using the Rainbow Astro RST-300 on a SuperMount CYG54GRDL tripod.  Last week, I mounted TOA-150B on this combination and observed the planets at x300-x500, which is extremely stable.   If the position of the center of gravity of the entire system projected onto the ground is within the grounding triangle of the tripod, there is no problem even if the OTAs are mounted imbalanced.  When the wind is strong, I usually attach an 8kg counterweight to prevent tip over.

Attached Thumbnails

• FC4BBD95-BF4F-448F-B48A-33A2090982DE.jpeg
  • 2FA17D6A-DAF2-4A15-95E8-42AB55EACCDC.jpeg

• Moravianus, Castor, biz and 4 others like this

#3 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:04 AM

Hi Yasuhiko,

Thank you. I also use TOA150, so your experience is highly valuable to me. Do you image with RST300 on the tripod? I wonder how this combination works for imaging. It looks like you have the geared pier version. Is it stable? I am more inclined to get one with fixed pier for stability. Finally, I wonder what’s the material used for the bottom tips of the tripod (where it sits against the ground). Is it stiff enough?

Cheers,
Wei-Hao
  • Yasuhiko likes this

#4 Yasuhiko

Yasuhiko

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:35 PM

Hi Yasuhiko,

Thank you. I also use TOA150, so your experience is highly valuable to me. Do you image with RST300 on the tripod? I wonder how this combination works for imaging. It looks like you have the geared pier version. Is it stable? I am more inclined to get one with fixed pier for stability. Finally, I wonder what’s the material used for the bottom tips of the tripod (where it sits against the ground). Is it stiff enough?

Cheers,
Wei-Hao

> Do you image with RST300 on the tripod?

No, I'm currently a visual observer and I'm not taking APs.   But my acquaintance is taking APs with the Mewlon-300 on this mount and tripod combination. (see the attached picture)

> It looks like you have the geared pier version. Is it stable?

Yes, there is no problem at all, and if tightening the rotary clamp, it’s very strong and highly rigid.  Also used in this way when the altitude of the target is high (such as when it is close to the zenith). (A friend who is about 170 cm tall is looking into the eyepiece.)

> what’s the material used for the bottom tips of the tripod

It's probably made of stainless steel.  I am using this tripod with the rubber caps removed.

Clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• CAFCD809-9B73-4D47-9994-177927AAB0C3.jpeg

• Castor, whwang, tkottary and 1 other like this

#5 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:13 AM

I concur what Yasuhiko-san said.

Super mount carbon tripod is rigid.  I think it is more rigid than Berlebach Planet, AP Eagle Pier, similar to Losmandy FHD tripod.

I use the tripod for binoscope (50lb-ish) on fluid heads (20lb-ish) mount.  So pointing zenith is the most challenging position.

Despite of looking scary, it worked perfectly.

large.jpg

With this setup, 54" inch high.  You would need extension for longer OTA.

large.jpg

Tammy

• Castor, whwang, Yasuhiko and 1 other like this

#6 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:58 AM

Super mount carbon tripod is rigid.  I think it is more rigid than Berlebach Planet, AP Eagle Pier, similar to Losmandy FHD tripod.

I use the tripod for binoscope (50lb-ish) on fluid heads (20lb-ish) mount.  So pointing zenith is the most challenging position.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Tammy

Dude what kind of aircraft carriers can you shot down with this thing

#7 Yasuhiko

Yasuhiko

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:52 AM

large.jpg

large.jpg

Tammy

​Hi Tammy,

Your comparison with other tripods is very easy to understand.  I also feel that this tripod CYG54G is stiffer than the Avalon T-pod, and  Pier for the TTS-160, if not as much as the Tak Metal tripod SR for EM400 & NJP, which I own.  And another feature is that this tripod has high vibration absorption.   In addition, this tripod is compact when retracted, making it convenient for transportation by cars.

Yasuhiko

#8 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:34 PM

​Hi Tammy,

Your comparison with other tripods is very easy to understand.  I also feel that this tripod CYG54G is stiffer than the Avalon T-pod, and  Pier for the TTS-160, if not as much as the Tak Metal tripod SR for EM400 & NJP, which I own.  And another feature is that this tripod has high vibration absorption.   In addition, this tripod is compact when retracted, making it convenient for transportation by cars.

Yasuhiko

Hi Yasuhiko-san,

Yes, Takahashi metal tripod for EM-400 is indeed one of my most rigid tripods.  

It is strong, stable and beautiful :)

Regarding compactness of CYG54G, it is worth mentioning.

The wooden tripod in the middle is Berlebach Planet with K70 geared column

large.jpg

large.jpg

Tammy

• Moravianus, Ken Sturrock, Lead_Weight and 2 others like this

#9 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:53 PM

Hi Tammy, Yasuhiko,

I also have the TAK metal tripod for EM400. Is the carbon one substantially smaller when retracted? Would you recommend it if I am going to put some heavy thing like EM400+TOA150 on it?

#10 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:35 AM

Hi Tammy, Yasuhiko,

I also have the TAK metal tripod for EM400. Is the carbon one substantially smaller when retracted? Would you recommend it if I am going to put some heavy thing like EM400+TOA150 on it?

Yes, retracted CYG54G is smaller (shorter) than Takahashi EM-400 metal tripod.

The Berlebach Planet height is about same as Takahashi EM-400 metal tripod retracted.

If you are looking to replace (use) EM-400 metal tripod with CYG54G for EM-400/TOA-150 combo, I don't see much merit except portability by giving up height.

Tammy

• whwang likes this

#11 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:29 PM

If you are looking to replace (use) EM-400 metal tripod with CYG54G for EM-400/TOA-150 combo, I don't see much merit except portability by giving up height.

Thanks.  That's indeed for portability.  

I am thinking about getting a harmonic drive mount in the near future, and I would like to get a carbon tripod like CYG48 or even CYG54 to go with it.  At the same time, if that tripod can also be used with EM400 (or same class of EQ mount), it will add versatility to the tripod and will make the cost even more justifiable.  

In the mean while, form EM400, I had already switch from the TAK metal tripod to wood tripod, to reduce weight in portable imaging.  This helped a lot when I brought my EM400 to the southern hemisphere two years ago.  I still use the metal one in local public viewing events. In the case when a running kid hits the telescope, the very heavy TAK metal tripod can prevent the telescope from falling off.  I see that CYG54's weight is comparable to the TAK wood tripod.  So perhaps there is no need to use it to further replace the wood one.  But again, having two equally portable and stable tripods interchangeable between the various EQ mounts is a good thing for me, given the various use scenarios.

#12 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:58 PM

Thanks.  That's indeed for portability.  

I am thinking about getting a harmonic drive mount in the near future, and I would like to get a carbon tripod like CYG48 or even CYG54 to go with it.  At the same time, if that tripod can also be used with EM400 (or same class of EQ mount), it will add versatility to the tripod and will make the cost even more justifiable.  

In the mean while, form EM400, I had already switch from the TAK metal tripod to wood tripod, to reduce weight in portable imaging.  This helped a lot when I brought my EM400 to the southern hemisphere two years ago.  I still use the metal one in local public viewing events. In the case when a running kid hits the telescope, the very heavy TAK metal tripod can prevent the telescope from falling off.  I see that CYG54's weight is comparable to the TAK wood tripod.  So perhaps there is no need to use it to further replace the wood one.  But again, having two equally portable and stable tripods interchangeable between the various EQ mounts is a good thing for me, given the various use scenarios.

Yes, if it is purpose of portability, I think it makes sense to add a new tripod such as CYG54.

In fact, I have several tripods for the same mount use for the same reason.  Some of tripods aren't so car transport friendly and some of them are overkill for small telescopes that I use daily.  I have various adapters to be able to use them on various tripods inter-changeably.

Here is size/height comparison of several tripods, tripod legs are set shortest.

From left, Astro Physics Eagle Pier, 8" and one 4" extension and Rainbow Astro's RST-300,

EM-400 metal tripod, CYG54G under the EM-400 metal tripod, Avalon T-Pod 110, 8" extension and RST-150H.

large.jpg

Tammy

• whwang, rkelley8493, Yasuhiko and 1 other like this

#13 Deadlake

Deadlake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Today, 02:06 AM

I was looking around for a tripod for an AZ100. The main point made about this mount is the load it can carry is down to the support provided by the tripod. I’m trying to keep the weight down, so am looking for other options apart from a BB planet. The T-Pod looks a good option, however the super mount weighs less and has a higher load capacity. Derek @ Rowan tells me he can modify the AZ100 AZ5 adapter, add two M8 holes and flatten the base, so attaching the mount should be possible to the supermount.
Part of me says you cannot ever get a stable enough tripod, the other part maybe I’m over buying?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics