•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEW SETUP FOR SUN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 p1taylor

p1taylor

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Midlands UK

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:27 AM

Hi All,    I have got my AZ-GTi all set up with  AZ-GTI Mount PC Connect EQMOD Cable for PC to Hand Control Port Cable Directly and my Lunt 60mm h-alpha scope in the observatory as I ham just going to image the sun got to old to carry on doing dep sky which I have don sins 1950s, I have got the new 3.30 firmware right arm az/eq, what I was wondering will it be ok in AZ as it only takes about 120 seconds to get 1000 images or will it have to be EQ.

peter

#2 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:38 AM

I used my AZ-GTi in Alt-Az with my Lunt LS60MT in single-stack and it was OK. I then changed the mount using a wedge and counterweight and, while a bit more wobbly due to the added weight, it was still pretty usable for lucky imaging. I then added a double-stack, which weighed in at 2 lbs and meant more CW as well, and it was very wobbly and clearly overloaded. I think most of the issue was the tripod but it was clear the mount was struggling as well under the weight. It may have been more or less OK in Alt-Az but still would have been beyond the posted limits of the mount.

My other option was my G11 but that seemed like overkill so I bit the bullet and pickled up an iOptron GEM28. So far I'm happy with that choice as I use 3 different dedicated solar scopes (LS60MT, ST80 w/Quark, Lunt CaK) with it and it allows me to do time lapses. I did upgrade the saddle with an ADM as I felt the stock saddle just didn't provide enough clamping area.

What camera are you going to be using as it seems like a fairly low frame rate? You may also want to post/move this over to the Solar Observing & Imaging forum for more feedback.

#3 p1taylor

p1taylor

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Midlands UK

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:56 AM

Yes ASI178 MM is not a realy big frame rate.

peter

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:36 PM

Please continue the discussion in the identical topic that was started here in the Solar Observing and Imaging Forum. lock.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics