•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leveling, orienting pier

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FrankG

FrankG

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Beaverdam, Va.

Posted 04 August 2021 - 05:49 AM

I have a metal pier on order. Would a simple, two-axis bubble level be sufficient to make sure the top of the pier is level after anchoring in concrete? I plan on using my iPhone to make sure post for CGEM II is pointed north -- is that sufficient?

Many Thanks,

Frank

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:12 AM

Don't use the iPhone, the compass in phones isn't very accurate. They can easily be off by 10 to 20 degrees. As for the level, a bubble level should be more that good enough. As for determining true north, you could use an inexpensive orienteering compass as long as you don't have any ferrous (magnetic) objects near to the compass. However, you'll need to offset the reading using your magnetic declination/variation (varies by you location, you can look up that value on the internet).

Another method is to plot the shadow of the sun during your local (true) noon (i.e. when the sun is due south). I think there are discussions about how to do the latter here on CN.

• FrankG and DSOGabe like this

#3 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:27 AM

Go out at night and find Polaris.  That will tell you which direction is north from your pier site.  Put a stake in the ground, or tie a ribbon to vegetation to indicate that direction.  That will get your pier well within the adjustment range of any mount.

Level isn't super critical, so a bubble level will be fine.

• FrankG, pioneercomputing, jagakajaja and 2 others like this

#4 blazek

blazek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:16 AM

I oriented my pier by shadow at true noon. It was spot on , not  much of adjustment was required. For leveling, as mentioned above, any kind spirit level,  including bubble,  will do . 

• FrankG likes this

#5 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:20 AM

Ordinarily,  the pier itself is not set in concrete.  The pier is set on j-bolts that are set into the concrete when it is poured.  Anchoring a metal pier itself in concrete is not a good idea.

#6 FrankG

FrankG

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:07 AM

Ordinarily,  the pier itself is not set in concrete.  The pier is set on j-bolts that are set into the concrete when it is poured.  Anchoring a metal pier itself in concrete is not a good idea.

Yes, it will be set on bolts into the wet concrete.

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:10 PM

+4

A bubble level will get you plenty close to plumb.  Whatever error is left will be easily accommodated when you do your polar alignment.  Same with finding north: either a compass or using a shadow at noon.  I don't know why, but my compass gets confused by my aluminum mount.  Perhaps it's the stainless shafts (still iron in there, even if the bulk metal isn't magnetic).  Anyway, when using a compass to point my mount north, I stand three feet away or so and sight along the mount's housing.

• FrankG, Raginar, kathyastro and 1 other like this

#8 FrankG

FrankG

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2021 - 01:39 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions. I used true high noon by the sun and purchased a good compass and the two are in agreement (accounting for magnetic declination). For the heck of it, I used the iPhone app and it was dead-on as well. It's an old iPhone 8 but it agreed perfectly with the sun and compass results. FWIW. May not work with all phones or in all locations but it appears to work here, today at least.

Thanks Again

Frank

Edited by FrankG, 20 August 2021 - 01:40 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics