•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finding DSOs Using ASIAir Pro

Equipment Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Squeezer04

Squeezer04

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:54 PM

I am using the ASIAir Pro as my primary guiding and astrophotography computer. I am trying to image DSOs that I cannot find in the ASI's database (eg East Veil Nebula). I was able to get the West Veil by using the named star in it's center which the ASIAir had in its database. I can link to Sky Safari to point the mount but since there is no plate solving, the pointing is not very accurate. More often than not my desired DSO is no where near the center of the FOV. I feel that I must be missing something since ZWO is all about astrophotography.

As always, help from the community is greatly appreciated.

#2 Enance42

Enance42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:37 AM

You can also type in the catalog number of the object, for example, NGC 6992 is the Eastern veil and NGC 6960 would be the Western Veil. M31 would be the Anderomeda galaxy, M13 the Hercules cluster and so on and so forth. Hope this helps.
  • dswtan and tomkozl like this

#3 Squeezer04

Squeezer04

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a directory that links the catalog number to the common name of DSOs?

#4 Enance42

Enance42

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:22 PM

Im sure there is somewhere but I don't know. I just look things up on the internet. Hopefully someone will chime in with a directory.

#5 empiredown

empiredown

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Liberty Hill, TX

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:51 PM

You can absolutely use SS to help guide your GOTO mount to these DSO as well. Once to PA and do your first GOTO, just go into SS and align the scope to whatever you are on, that will synch it to your mount and the ASIAir location, from that point forward, you can just default to SS or use ASIAir interchangeably. That is what I do, depending on whether I need more info or to hit a different spot in the proximity. Once you get the rhythm down, they are nice and seamless I have found. Good luck!

SS

#6 dtripz

dtripz

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:27 PM

You can also punch in the coordinates from telescopius or any such planetarium app.

#7 dswtan

dswtan

Viking 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:41 PM

Is there a directory that links the catalog number to the common name of DSOs?

I don’t mean to sound facetious, but literally every star atlas/planetarium (on and offline), Google, Wikipedia, etc. has this information. The only ones that don’t are seemingly the built-in ones to controller programs like ASIair, NINA, etc. I do appreciate it’s annoying! Mostly I just look them up on Wikipedia myself. Sometimes you need multiple sources. Sometimes the “common” names are pretty recent and colloquial — so there’s no universal directory except for “The Internet”.

#8 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:05 AM

Indeed, common names are not always common...  different cultures sometimes have different common names...

Just use the catalog numbers, I've never NOT found what i was looking for in ASIAIR's database

• AhBok likes this

#9 Squeezer04

Squeezer04

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:46 AM

Thanks all. I now see that with a little more research I can find a catalog number for any DSO I want that the ASIAir will recognize.

#10 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:09 AM

I thought the ASIAIR Pro did have plate solving?

ZWO says it does...

https://astronomy-im...ith-asiair.html

#11 Enance42

Enance42

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:34 AM

I thought the ASIAIR Pro did have plate solving?

ZWO says it does...

https://astronomy-im...ith-asiair.html

It does indeed platesolve.

#12 Squeezer04

Squeezer04

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:24 PM

Yes it does. I was talking about Ski Safari.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics