•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Noob going into Mono from OSC, flat question :)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sanyahun

Sanyahun

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:15 AM

Hello everybody!

Even asking this to my self sounds a noob question ( and also not finding something like this here, normally means it is stupid to begin with :) ), but I want to be sure before the first light and it looks like I have a bit of time, thanks to the (un)fortunate weather here in The Netherlands :D

So, I know I have to take flat frames for each filters, but how you do it? I mean, if I heard correctly, you have to focus again after you change filter. That is ok, but I have now an eaf that is going to preform it, after each filter change (I have an Asiair pro, it has a setting that can turn this on and off, I think). Does it stores the parameters for these changes and I can go back later and do my flats for each filter, or I have to do it every time I want to change a filter (for sure not, sounds stupid, but who knows)?

Thanks guys,

Sandor

#2 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:04 AM

Does it stores the parameters for these changes and I can go back later and do my flats for each filter,

It does and it can.

Or, rather, the software controlling it can. Automation software like NINA, SGP and the like.

You can measure the difference between filters and apply them on filter changes (filter offsets), you can use presets to remember the focus position for each filter, you can do a full autofocus run on each filter change, or combinations of those.

That said, focus differences for each filter are minor, and such minor differences don't significantly affect flats. So you don't really need to worry about that for flats, as long as you're roughly focused on some filter to begin with, flats will come out alright.

Edited by klaussius, 05 August 2021 - 06:05 AM.

• Sanyahun likes this

#3 Sanyahun

Sanyahun

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:09 AM

It does and it can.

Or, rather, the software controlling it can. Automation software like NINA, SGP and the like.

You can measure the difference between filters and apply them on filter changes (filter offsets), you can use presets to remember the focus position for each filter, you can do a full autofocus run on each filter change, or combinations of those.

That said, focus differences for each filter are minor, and such minor differences don't significantly affect flats. So you don't really need to worry about that for flats, as long as you're roughly focused on some filter to begin with, flats will come out alright.

Thank you for the clear explaining! -1, a million to go :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics