•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrometry.net and wide field

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mbechtel

mbechtel

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:54 AM

I have had a lot of luck with my plate solving in SGP with astrometry.net using both a 104 f/7 and a 130 f/7. I just switched to a wide field WO 73 f/5.9 (430mm focal length), and my plate solving now fails about 40% of the time. Sometimes in the same area of the sky where it just worked. I am wondering if anyone else has seen a correlation with shorter FO and plate solving problems.

#2 Nicola

Nicola

Vendor: Skymonsters.net.

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:35 AM

I have had a lot of luck with my plate solving in SGP with astrometry.net using both a 104 f/7 and a 130 f/7. I just switched to a wide field WO 73 f/5.9 (430mm focal length), and my plate solving now fails about 40% of the time. Sometimes in the same area of the sky where it just worked. I am wondering if anyone else has seen a correlation with shorter FO and plate solving problems.

Not at all, I use platesolve of astrometry.net with focal lengths ranging from 50mm to 2000mm. It is only a matter of parameters.

• mbechtel likes this

#3 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:58 PM

Make sure you download the proper index files to match/exceed your new wider FOV. Check out this link to the ansvr local Astrometry.net plate solver for Windows https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics