•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are Extremely High Temperatures Safe for Go-To Mounts?

Equipment Mount
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus F

Marcus F

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:22 AM

I am heading to Arizona for 3 days for a vacation, where it's currently hitting up to ~115F during the day (~20% humidity) and 100F at night (~30% humidity). The dark skies are too good to pass up, but I am wondering if the high temperatures may damage my equipment.

Ideally I would like to set up my scope on the first night and leave it parked and ready for the following two nights. I assume the optical tube assembly is OK in 115F heat, but I worry that the go-to mounts electronics could be damaged by 115F. Even if I shaded it with a canopy.

Unless someone here can re-assure me that a go-to mount can withstand 115F, I will plan to break down my scope and mount at the end of each night and store it inside a home during the day. Thanks everyone.

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:33 AM

Some good info here:

https://www.cloudyni...mps-for-a-year/

Mike

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:40 AM

The electronics won't be damaged.  Despite 115F being somewhat "extreme" to us biological things, it's no big deal for circuit boards.

You *may* get some grease getting thin and running a bit.  Even that's not certain.

I wouldn't worry at all, you'll be fine :)

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:40 AM

I am heading to Arizona for 3 days for a vacation, where it's currently hitting up to ~115F during the day (~20% humidity) and 100F at night (~30% humidity). The dark skies are too good to pass up, but I am wondering if the high temperatures may damage my equipment.

There are lots and lots of people who do astronomy in Arizona, and those temperatures are routine for them.

Just sayin...

• t-ara-fan likes this

#5 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:42 AM

If you can really keep the mount down to below 120F you will be OK. That means a shade and some ventilation.

As a precaution I would take inside anything that has an LCD display.

#6 scadvice

scadvice

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:46 AM

Simple answer is no. From my experimenting as long as you keep direct sunlight off of the equipment with open type sun canopy so air can flow... no problem. Closed covers like the 365 can have temp. higher than the ambient temp by 15 degrees or more so a canopy over it to block the sun is still needed. Lastly, in higher heat tipping your OTA to horizontal is suggested as the glue on the felt in the tube rings can soften and gravity slip backwards. 

Edited by scadvice, 05 August 2021 - 11:49 AM.

• wrvond likes this

#7 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:52 AM

No problem with heat here in Australia, you should be fine.

Your gear lube maybe a bit more runny

• OldManSky likes this

#8 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:08 PM

I've kept two imaging systems out in the desert 60 miles east of San Diego for over 2 years now. Yesterday it touched 104 degrees which is not at all unusual. Everything worked just fine.

I do not open the roof until I know that the sun will not be shining on the systems. The one time I violated that, one of my cameras overheated and would not stay turned on until the sun went down and it cooled off. 

The computers are not in a place where they can ever be hit by direct sunlight (base of the mount). I worry more about them in 100 degree heat than I do about the mounts.

Rgrds-Ross

• OldManSky likes this

#9 Marcus F

Marcus F

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:01 PM

There are lots and lots of people who do astronomy in Arizona, and those temperatures are routine for them.

Just sayin...

While I am sure there are certainly lots of people who do astronomy in AZ, I am ignorant to any potential precautions/safeguards that they may or may not take with leaving their equipment out in daytime. Better to be safe than sorry with such expensive equipment :)

#10 Marcus F

Marcus F

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:04 PM

Simple answer is no. From my experimenting as long as you keep direct sunlight off of the equipment with open type sun canopy so air can flow... no problem. Closed covers like the 365 can have temp. higher than the ambient temp by 15 degrees or more so a canopy over it to block the sun is still needed. Lastly, in higher heat tipping your OTA to horizontal is suggested as the glue on the felt in the tube rings can soften and gravity slip backwards. 

I've kept two imaging systems out in the desert 60 miles east of San Diego for over 2 years now. Yesterday it touched 104 degrees which is not at all unusual. Everything worked just fine.

I do not open the roof until I know that the sun will not be shining on the systems. The one time I violated that, one of my cameras overheated and would not stay turned on until the sun went down and it cooled off. 

The computers are not in a place where they can ever be hit by direct sunlight (base of the mount). I worry more about them in 100 degree heat than I do about the mounts.

Rgrds-Ross

If you can really keep the mount down to below 120F you will be OK. That means a shade and some ventilation.

As a precaution I would take inside anything that has an LCD display.

Sounds like the answer is to provide shade and ventilation. I'll stick it under an easy-up canopy and see if I can find an extension cord for a fan. Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. Cheers!

#11 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:51 PM

I have also used a standard, aluminized TeleGizmos cover. That violates the ventillation recommendations, by the reflective coating does reject quite a bit of solar heat.

#12 decep

decep

Messenger

• Loc: Georgia, US

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:22 PM

As long as the mount is not in operation with 115F ambient temperatures, it will be fine.  The mount is not generating any heat and does not need to dissipate any self generated heat.  This would be considered a "storage" temperature.

• Notdarkenough likes this

#13 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:38 PM

I use to observe in many extremely hot locations. I was in Death Valley one time and the daytime temperatures reached 115/125 degrees. I had a 365 Telegizmos cover on my scope. At the end of the day when I removed the cover I found that the screen on the display of the hand controller had melted. There were no other problems with the mount or scope. I figured that the temperatures under the cover had reached 140/150 degrees or more. Since then, I remove the hand controller and place a battery operated fan under the cover and I have had no further problems with the mount or scope. That was about 13 years ago.

Stan

#14 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:46 PM

I wasn't trying to be flippant with post #2. I didn't see what manufacturer your rig is, and that thread includes the temp ratings for storage and use (different) from Celestron for hot and cold. Your particular manufacturer may vary but a note to that manufacturer's help desk might be very useful.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics