•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Horizontal to vertical

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Sensabaugh

Fred Sensabaugh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

Last night I was imaging the Omega Nebula and half way through the images switched from horizontal to vertical. I was using a Nikon D750 and a 104mm refractor on an Atlas mount. How do I prevent this or is there a workaround? I know someone knows the answer. Thanks in advance.

#2 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:57 AM

It doesn't really matter. The raw data is always in the same orientation, and stacking software knows how to handle this.

Whatever program you're using to open them should have a setting for "auto-rotation" or something like that. You can disable it, if it bothers you. But, again, it doesn't matter for stacking.

#3 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• Loc: Germany

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:59 AM

Afaik it is just a tag in the image file. As klaussius wrote while I was typing. But it does matter for stacking in some cases. In PixInsight there is an option tag that needs to be disabled (at least in my version) or it will indeed refuse stacking.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:03 PM

http://darrellyoung....otate-tall.html

#5 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:20 PM

In PixInsight there is an option tag that needs to be disabled (at least in my version) or it will indeed refuse stacking.

Huh...

That's a weird default. When using a DSLR on an eq mount, the rotation tag always flips at some point in the night. A default that 99% of the time needs to be changed is a funny choice.

#6 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:41 PM

Probably camera model dependent, but I disabled the auto orientation on my Nikon D3200.  If nothing else, it helped when reviewing the subs. 

#7 Fred Sensabaugh

Fred Sensabaugh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:52 PM

Thanks all. I did not try to stack all together. I’ll also try to find the auto rotation switch in my camera menu.

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:16 PM

Thanks all. I did not try to stack all together. I’ll also try to find the auto rotation switch in my camera menu.

Fred, it's in the link I posted above.  Good instructions.

• Fred Sensabaugh likes this

#9 Fred Sensabaugh

Fred Sensabaugh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:07 PM

Fred, it's in the link I posted above.  Good instructions.

Got it. Thanks! It’s 

#10 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• Loc: Germany

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:04 AM

Huh...

That's a weird default. When using a DSLR on an eq mount, the rotation tag always flips at some point in the night. A default that 99% of the time needs to be changed is a funny choice.

The DSLR defaults are weird. Debayer is also on. When using PI with a DSLR this is the first thing to change. Warren Keller covers it in his book, so not a trap. It may have changed with the new version. I refuse updating because it voids my dark library.

#11 bulrichl

bulrichl

Ranger 4

• Loc: La Palma (Canary Islands)

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:08 PM

Much has been said in this thread about autorotation, however not everything was correct. My short summary:

Using the proprietary raw format of a digital camera, the 'Autorotate' feature in the camera should be enabled (for daylight images). In PixInsight you can specify whether the images shall be autorotated or not, choosing the appropriate setting of the option 'No image flip'. In my view this is the best approach, because you have full control over the application of autorotation during processing.

When astro images of a regular digital camera in the proprietary raw format shall be processed with PixInsight, the 'RAW Format Preferences' (in the Format Explorer: double-click on 'RAW') shall be set to 'Pure Raw'. This pre-setting enables 'Create raw CFA image', it disables black point correction, highlight clipping, interpolation (Debayering or Demosaicing) and white balance, and the option 'No image flip' is enabled by default.

Bernd

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics