•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPC 1100 Hard Case Size

Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wezzleey

Wezzleey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:01 PM

Hello all,

This my first post, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.  I am very new to the hobby, purchasing a CPC 1100 a couple of months ago.  I have only been able to take it out a few times, but it has been amazing each time.  

My mother heard me talking to someone and saying that I would really like to get a hard roller case for it.  She offered to buy me one for Christmas.  

After doing some digging, I found out that my scope and mount, being a newer model, is actually a couple inches wider than previous versions, and thus won't fit into cases like the JMI roller case I was looking at.  I contacted them, and they confirmed that it won't fit, and they don't know when they would be releasing a case that will work.  

Now for my stubborn requirements:  Whatever I get, I really need rollers on it.  Preferably some relatively heavy duty rollers. 

Lastly, I am not a DIY guy.  I'm actually pretty pathetic at any DIY project.  lol.gif

Any tips or product sources would be GREATLY appreciated.  

Thanks

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:33 PM

I would look at Peli cases- very high quality, hermetically sealed and I'm sure you will find a size to suit your OTA size- The larger versions have wheels which is good.

I'm sure there would be International suppliers https://www.waterpro...FBoC21YQAvD_BwE

#3 Wezzleey

Wezzleey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:48 PM

I would look at Peli cases- very high quality, hermetically sealed and I'm sure you will find a size to suit your OTA size- The larger versions have wheels which is good.

I'm sure there would be International suppliers https://www.waterpro...FBoC21YQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the info.  I will have to look into this a little more.  Somewhat concerned as the first item I looked at that would work came out to $1500.  I won't let my mother spend that much on me.  Lol

Once I get home and verify the dimensions, I'll take another look.

Thanks again!

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:48 PM

I don't know about the CPC100 being a newer model, but for an older model what I and others have done was to buy a large rolling similar to this one by Stanley.  I would take some measurements and check out the available products.

#5 Wezzleey

Wezzleey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:53 PM

I don't know about the CPC100 being a newer model, but for an older model what I and others have done was to buy a large rolling similar to this one by Stanley.  I would take some measurements and check out the available products.

Yeah, the fork mount is different now.  Ends up a few inches wider than previous models.  That case might still work though.  What would you use for padding?

Thanks!

Edited by Wezzleey, 05 August 2021 - 12:54 PM.

#6 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:52 PM

I see that the hand control holder is different and stands away from the arm. I wonder if it easily removed and replaced?

For padding I used a some foam pads from somewhere and as I recall some of the factory foam packing was reusable. For an SE mount in a smaller box I think that I used some soft foam and also cut some rigid foam board. The idea behind the rigid foam was that it serve as a crush zone in the event of a very hard knock and prevent the gear from shifting. Not pretty but pretty but functional.

Somewhere I saw expanding closed cell foam used to make a cushion under a scope and part way up the side. It looked to me as if a plastic sheet had been used as a barrier between the foam and the scope.

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:56 PM

How about something like this?

Attached Thumbnails

• D9C2F164-5596-4FA9-B234-29C66A0C4078.jpeg
  • A9817854-DBB1-4A76-9E08-8CC11815B801.jpeg

#8 Wezzleey

Wezzleey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:28 PM

How about something like this?

That could work.  What are the interior dimensions?  

#9 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:38 PM

That could work.  What are the interior dimensions?  

Well I’m not sure exsactly however this is for s Meade 12” ACF LX90. When i puchased this the trunks are available in different sizes,specs,etc and you would have to make some kind of framing!(I used MDF) so apart from travelling to another site if need be it also doubles up as a genral storage case for the scope when it stands up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5A7D634D-12AA-4E46-9B6A-CCED857DBCA5.jpeg
  • 5EDDA41E-306F-4FB2-A6DA-CDE3398C3BAE.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics