•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PST and DS2000 mount working for visual

Solar
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EVS

EVS

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:24 PM

So I purchased this mount just to have an easy mount with drive. It was the version under Coronado name with Autostar 497 hand control. After some learning for home position, leveling, drive tuning, speed and tracking rates it’s about 5 minutes to get on Sun. I found that tracking rate 4 and 5 work for keeping on target. The mounting plate is very useful over cradle rings more common on this mount. I just park the mount and next time out set in same spot turn on tell it Goto Mercury and center on Sun. That bypasses any star alignment. Today was a great day with all the active prominences. 

I come here every day to see all the great post and knowledge. 
Thanks to all that share. 

Attached Thumbnails

• AAC8EE09-019F-46CA-8F5D-F9EDBDD53C27.jpeg

• paulsky, SgrB2, rigel123 and 7 others like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:43 PM

Looks like a nice clean set up, enjoy!

#3 EVS

EVS

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:16 PM

The more I use this more I learn so here are some updates. For $60 this is handy. 
I made the Sun a User Object under Object menu. I guess I will need to update that position every so often. So now I start off with my user object and Sun shows up in solar finder. Needs a little centering. 
I can sleep the drive motors. Under Utilities select Sleep Scope this stops drives and press of any direction button restarts the drives. This works well and for higher power using barlow. As long a you stay on sleep scope it’s ready again. 
Yesterday I mounted my Borg 76ED with a Baader solar film filter. I made using old solar glass filter frame and mate board frame inside for 80mm. Mount did will to carry and keep on target for extended time with only issue the lack of sun spots. 

#4 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 11 August 2021 - 12:25 PM

You can  add the Sun as an asteroid by adding the  orbital elements and it will then  calculate the RA DEC for that day.  Here is a link on how you do it http://www.weasner.c...les/as_sun.html

- Dave 

• EVS and BinoGuy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics