•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

North American & Pelican - Askar FRA400 and L-Enhance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Poochpa

Poochpa

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:39 PM

Here's the North American (NGC 7000) and Pelican (IC 5070) nebulae, imaged under Bortle 6 skies with the moon up for the first hour of imaging. Since I was using a dual-band pass filter, I processed the data both as an RGB image and as a narrow-band image.

Scope: Askar FRA-400 with .8x reducer, FL 280mm
    Camera: ZWO ASI2600MC-P with Optolong L-Enhance filter
    Mount: Rainbow Astro RST-135
    Exposures: 49x120s, gain 100

Mike

RGB image:

https://www.cloudyni...5658_328848.jpg

NB image:

https://www.cloudyni..._5658_29970.jpg

• StephenW, nofxrx, John O'Grady and 7 others like this

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:06 PM

I imaged the North American the other night and I can see now that I only got the left side of it!  Plus you brought out much more detail and swirls, dust, etc. (I wasn't using a filter either.) So basically you have raised the bar quite a bit! Thanks for posting these, they are inspiring and very well done! 

#3 kvastronomer

kvastronomer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:12 PM

Here's the North American (NGC 7000) and Pelican (IC 5070) nebulae, imaged under Bortle 6 skies with the moon up for the first hour of imaging. Since I was using a dual-band pass filter, I processed the data both as an RGB image and as a narrow-band image.

Scope: Askar FRA-400 with .8x reducer, FL 280mm
    Camera: ZWO ASI2600MC-P with Optolong L-Enhance filter
    Mount: Rainbow Astro RST-135
    Exposures: 49x120s, gain 100

Mike

RGB image:

https://www.cloudyni...5658_328848.jpg

NB image:

https://www.cloudyni..._5658_29970.jpg

How did you map RGB colors for NB version?

#4 cucubits

cucubits

Viking 1

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:39 PM

Very nice results. I'm eyeing the 2600MC for a while now...

If you don't mind, what's your RGB processing workflow with the L-Enhance? Do you still split the channels and recombine?

#5 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Galway, Ireland

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:07 PM

Those are both fantastic images. I too would be interested in your workflow. I've done a reasonable HOO of a similar field with a dslr but the colours were nowhere near as striking as yours.

#6 Poochpa

Poochpa

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments. I use PixInsight for image processing. Concerning my workflow with the L-Enhance filter, I first process the image to completion as a standard RGB image. I do not split the channels for RGB processing and I do not use any narrow band settings, as the L-Enhance filter is not a NB filter. So, for example, for color calibration using PCC, I use the broadband setting as working mode. My typical workflow after stacking is:
Crop to remove stacking artifacts
ABE or DBE
PCC
SCNR
MLTNR
HT, or a blend of HT/MS
CT for contrast
Saturation using CT with a masked background

For the NB image, I use the finished RGB image. It seems to work better in terms of NB color than what I previously did, which was to use the RGB image immediately after taking it nonlinear. I first use Starnet to remove the stars; the stars image to be processed separately later. For the starless image, I split the channels, deleting the B channel.  I use HT and/or CT to approximately match the G channel’s brightness to that of the R channel. For channel mapping, I leave R as R, G as G and map a blend of R and G to B,  usually 50-50, sometimes more R.  I then recombine the channels and use CT’s individual channel curves to get the look I want, followed by an RGB saturation curve. The stars only image is only slightly processed, using SCNR and a little saturation increase. I then recombine with the starless image using PM.

Mike

• cucubits likes this

#7 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:28 PM

Absolutely love the NB image. I am seriously considering buying this scope to give me a wider FOV than my current ES102 apo triplet - and your image may have just pushed me over the finish line.  Thanks for sharing.

#8 GaryO

GaryO

Mariner 2

• Loc: rochester ny

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:04 PM

Mike, this is a wonderful image! I first looked at it and thought what a great SHO Hubble Palette acquisition and process. Then I saw this was with an OSC camera with one filter! Great job....

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics