•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Davis Mountain State Park

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JamesGang

JamesGang

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:53 PM

I am heading out to Davis Mountain State Park, TX on Monday, Aug 9th. It is a chance to use my Mak under, hopefully, clear skies (Bortle 2). Unfortunately, August is the rainiest month of the year (3.28 inches average). The Perseids meteor shower will be at their max next week, and Jupiter and Saturn will be just about at their closest point during that time. I am planning to do the Star Party at the McDonald Observatory one night next week. Done this 3 times on the past, but now I have more interest in astronomy. I hope they are still doing this and have not stopped due to the unmentionable. Have to call. Here is looking for clear skies.

Barton   

• ShaulaB and havasman like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

Hopefully you have also made contact with the State Park. Parks in the region are heavily booked these days. I had dinner last night with friends who were turned away from a National Park in New Mexico a few months ago when they arrived w/o reservations. State parks use different systems than what the National Park system has implemented. But crowding is an issue.

When I went by the McDonald Observatory a few months ago it was closed to ALL non-essential personnel. Don't be surprised if that's still the case. It's a UT facility and they make those rules.

Hope you get good weather and great skies.

#3 JamesGang

JamesGang

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:55 PM

I have reservations at the park. Unfortunately I checked on the McDonald Observatory's web site and the star parties are all booked until September. Chance of rain every day next week.   

#4 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:46 PM

Does anybody know how the conditions are in the area in early November? Any particular spot to set up? Next to the RV is usually not good (lights and fires...)

As discussed in other thread, a friend and I are planning something in West Texas area and this area is a candidate. This is a far as we would go from Baton Rouge.

https://www.cloudyni...vember-with-rv/

#5 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:31 PM

I have reservations at the park. Unfortunately I checked on the McDonald Observatory's web site and the star parties are all booked until September. Chance of rain every day next week.   

20 years ago I had an unexpected week off work and made arrangements to stay at a friends house in Limpia Crossing, adjacent to the Prude Ranch. Was mid August. Rained every single day. Cold rain. I got so bored I ended up going to a local rodeo and a Ft. Davis high school foot ball game. They play 6 on 6. Ended up staying the whole week. I was well rested when I got home!

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:00 AM

Keep your fingers crossed that the forecast is wrong; it wouldn't be the first time.smile.gif

#7 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:04 AM

I've learnt from twenty TSP's that the Davis Mnts dont just have their own micro-climate, there are micro-climates within it too. Good luck!

#8 Hyak

Hyak

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:37 PM

I'm planning to head out that way later this year (in Austin), you reminded me that I need to make a star party reservation well in advance. I do hope you get some clear skies while you're out there. I was out at Big Bend back in April and it lucked out with good weather most nights. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics