•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

hi,is there any avalon M-zero users? plz share your experience with it , bad or good

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dingxinyang

dingxinyang

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

i am looking for a portable mount for my epsilon 160ed , the total weight of OTA, camera and other accessories weighs about 10kg.

just wonder could M-zero handle this weight?

whats your average rms you could get from this mount?

since MULTI STARs guiding has been released for a while, will this mount be benefit from this method?

thank you

ding

#2 OctansLab

OctansLab

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane - Australia

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:56 PM

Hi Ding .. 

I have the M-zero and I mainly use it with a William Optics GTF102 refractor at around 6 kg. I think on the Avalon site there are case studies with scopes around the 10kg range that are guided successfully.

The other night I was using with PHD2 with  multi star and had guiding at .49". I generally run subs at 5 mins with nice round stars. 

I have never had issues with troublesome PHD2 calibrations or issues with backlash

The mount is beautifully machined and finished and all I can say is "it just works" and I have never had issues with troublesome PHD2 calibrations or issues with backlash.

The StarGo software is also straight foreward to use. The guide graph was taken before multi-star was implemented

https://www.flickr.c...57637424254783/

https://www.flickr.c...57637424254783/

Edited by OctansLab, 05 August 2021 - 07:59 PM.

• dingxinyang likes this

#3 herwig_p

herwig_p

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:44 PM

Hi Ding,

I use the m-zero as portable mount with the Tak Epsilon 130ED and it works great! Not sure, how much heavier the 160 is?

From all my mounts this is the most clever engineered one, I find. Especially the altitude/azimuth adjustment mechanism for polar alignment is so precise that it beats my 10Micron. Using Sharpcap, I am polar aligned to 10 arcseconds easily (or better) within 2 minutes! No meridian flip required is a bonus, albeit nowadays not so important any more. Guiding is good and necessary, good balancing is required but easy to achieve! the T-pod tripod is excellence as well.

Having said that, I just got my RST-135E and find it just astonishing compact. Have to test it yet with my Epsilon, but if it is as good as it looks, it might replace the m-zero as portable travel mount! Will seeā€¦!

CS Herwig

Edited by herwig_p, 09 August 2021 - 03:45 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics