•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

power outage!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rob1986

rob1986

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:41 PM

here in the desert clouds are rare, but the we haven't had one of our frequent power-outages since I got my scope.

that is till last night.

very very nice! laugh.gif

• John Fitzgerald, ShaulaB, havasman and 1 other like this

#2 Delta608

Delta608

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:32 PM

cept your beer is getting warm....

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:56 AM

I would easily skip viewing, in order to have power.  Of course I do live in a very dark area with only a couple of neighbors (no lights).

#4 Kfrank

Kfrank

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:00 PM

here in the desert clouds are rare, but the we haven't had one of our frequent power-outages since I got my scope.

that is till last night.

very very nice! laugh.gif

I would easily skip viewing, in order to have power.  Of course I do live in a very dark area with only a couple of neighbors (no lights).

Power outages inconvenience FAR more people than they benefit!

In some cases, the outage goes beyond inconvenience and actually puts people in jeaoardy. Might pay to remember that while you’re enjoying dark skies, Rob, many others are inconvenienced or even endangered . I'm with Carol here!

#5 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:21 PM

Fair point, but I don't think anyone is actually advocating a preference for dark skies over personal safety! 

#6 aatt

aatt

Vanguard

• ***--
  • Loc: CT

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:39 PM

Yes it is a fringe benefit of an annoying scenario. I know I appreciated the darker skies when we were hit by a freak snow storm in late October in 2011. No power for 8 days. Skies were noticeable darker and yes I would have preferred not freezing inside my own house and flushing the toilet with a bucket or water borrowed from my neighbor There is a silver lining to everything. I remember the awfulness of the scenario as well as the fact that the light domes were significantly reduced as well. Do it again? Nope.
  • viewer likes this

#7 rob1986

rob1986

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2021 - 01:31 PM

here they turn off most of the street lighting when it gets really hot and everyone has their a/c running. periodically there are 3 hour power outages from the high prevailing winds and the shoddy maintenance on the power-lines.

It actually figured into my choice of telescope.

funny thing is though, we haven't had any of the above in 8 months, since i got the c80, so the jokes on me!

it rarely gets cold enough to be a problem, and here we use gas for cooking, so it really is a minor inconvenience.

#8 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:03 AM

here they turn off most of the street lighting when it gets really hot and everyone has their a/c running. periodically there are 3 hour power outages from the high prevailing winds and the shoddy maintenance on the power-lines.

It actually figured into my choice of telescope.

funny thing is though, we haven't had any of the above in 8 months, since i got the c80, so the jokes on me!

it rarely gets cold enough to be a problem, and here we use gas for cooking, so it really is a minor inconvenience.

where are you??

#9 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:39 AM

When life hands one lemons, then it's time to make lemonade!

#10 rob1986

rob1986

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:01 AM

where are you??

negev. israel

you guys really should make a huge CN starparty around sde boker.

#11 gnabgib

gnabgib

Viking 1

• Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:58 PM

cept your beer is getting warm....

EVERY englishman knows the proper way to drink beer is warm!  Lucas refrigerators you know.

Kevin

• Delta608 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics