•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacing Focuser on C102F With Moonlite?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:13 PM

Many owners have replaced the focuser on their C102F with a Moonlite focuser. Anyone who has done this...after installing the Moonlite, does the focuser need to be collimated, or is it aligned already? In other words, if the refractor is collimated, is the process plug and play or do you need to adjust the Moonlite?

Edited by jeffmac, 05 August 2021 - 09:16 PM.

#2 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:37 AM

Hi Jeffmac,

I meant to reply earlier but got side tracked. I changed the focuser on my C102F to a Moonlight dual speed. It was an easy process, but I did need to touch up collimation afterwards. Collimation is pretty easy to adjust. If I recall, I used a Cheshire eyepiece back then. Later, I bought a Takahashi collimation tool which made it even easier.

Collimation is much easier if you remove the dewshield first which simplifies access to the push-pull screws. Keep the lens cap over the objective during testing/adjusting. Just insert the tool you plan to use, and take a look through it. You should see two rings of light superimposed on one another. If centered like a bullseye, you are in good shape. If not, you will need to do some adjusting. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the adjustment portion.

Attached Thumbnails

• DD450C24-7525-4DC9-BFEE-878DCA2A0542.jpeg

• jeffmac likes this

#3 peleuba

peleuba

Gemini

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:11 AM

Many owners have replaced the focuser on their C102F with a Moonlite focuser. Anyone who has done this...after installing the Moonlite, does the focuser need to be collimated, or is it aligned already? In other words, if the refractor is collimated, is the process plug and play or do you need to adjust the Moonlite?

I have restored perhaps 6 different flavors of the Vixen Fluorite.  I have used black Moonlite focusers (both dual speed and single speed) on all of them with high degrees of success. 

I never had to adjust the collimation on any of them.  It was plug-n-play.

• ares53405 and jeffmac like this

#4 peleuba

peleuba

Gemini

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:19 AM

I meant to reply earlier but got side tracked. I changed the focuser on my C102F to a Moonlight dual speed. It was an easy process, but I did need to touch up collimation afterwards. Collimation is pretty easy to adjust. If I recall, I used a Cheshire eyepiece back then. Later, I bought a Takahashi collimation tool which made it even easier.

Larry - by using the tools you mentioned above, you are describing collimation of the lens.  I think the OP was asking if the new focuser needed to be collimated after installation - but I could have misunderstood.  Anyway, if you had to adjust collimation of your lens after you switched focusers its likely the lens needed adjustment prior to the switch.  Collimating a lens and collimating a focuser are separate operations only tangentially related.  

Collimating a focuser is even easier then collimating a lens.  The Moonlite focusers have adjustments and the proper method is to place a laser in the focuser and see where it exits the objective lens.  You want it to exit precisely in the center.  If it does not, you adjust the focuser until it does.  This focuser collimation does not affect the collimation of the objective lens - they are wholly independent of each other.

Edited by peleuba, 09 August 2021 - 12:59 PM.

• SteveG, ares53405 and jeffmac like this

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:19 PM

It’s too bad Moonlite stopped selling manual focusers. You now need to purchase a motorized focuser, at a very high cost.

#6 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Aurora

• Administrators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:39 PM

It’s too bad Moonlite stopped selling manual focusers. You now need to purchase a motorized focuser, at a very high cost.

Other options to the discontinued Moonlite focusers mad.gif  is the Baader Steeltrack... they may have a flange (or made by a third party), Feathertouch, and Farpoint are now carrying the JMI Event Horizon at a reasonable price, again the flange may be the issue.

• SteveG likes this

#7 peleuba

peleuba

Gemini

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:33 PM

Totally agree with you.   I’m sure this was done as unfortunately, the whole direction of the hobby has shifted to imaging.  

#8 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:56 PM

“Larry - by using the tools you mentioned above, you are describing collimation of the lens.  I think the OP was asking if the new focuser needed to be collimated after installation - but I could have misunderstood.  Anyway, if you had to adjust collimation of your lens after you switched focusers its likely the lens needed adjustment prior to the switch.  Collimating a lens and collimating a focuser are separate operations only tangentially related.”

Whoops! Yes, my mistake. I read the post back on the 5th and when I answered did not re-read it first. My mistake. Yes, as I have Moonlights on both refractors and reflectors I am familiar with the built-in adjustments on each version. 

#9 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 10 August 2021 - 07:06 PM

Well, that's too bad. I had designs on a Moonlite for that scope.

#10 Dingotech

Dingotech

Lift Off

• Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado

Posted 11 August 2021 - 12:46 AM

Totally agree with you.   I’m sure this was done as unfortunately, the whole direction of the hobby has shifted to imaging.  

The owner of Moonlite recently told me that certain required parts for manual focusers are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain... that he can't make what he can't make.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics