•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Forgotten equipment. D'oh!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:16 PM

Had a trip to Nashville planned to meet some friends, and decided to take my AT70ED out for a trial run as a travel scope. I thought I packed very carefully but when I got there, I'd forgotten the plate to attach the scope to.  D'oh.  Lesson learned. Make a list, check it off.  At one point, we had an amazing view of Jupiter, too.  frown.gif

• paul hart, Diana N, clusterbuster and 1 other like this

#2 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:32 PM

A checklist is the way to go,

Mark

• GeneT, MawkHawk and Diana N like this

#3 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:06 PM

I once drove 8 hours to a star party and left my 18” mirror at home. That is when I learned you can actually enjoy a star party without your own telescope.

• paul hart, izar187, Diana N and 5 others like this

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:43 PM

Nah, it's just so highly polished it's invisible.....invisible dob mirrors, only $18,000wink.gif

• Diana N and EricSi like this

#5 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:01 AM

It happens. I packed an ST120, mount and eyepieces for a dark site trip and forgot the diagonal. Luckily I had a dob with me but I missed out on the wide field views.
  • Diana N and CeeKay like this

#6 airbleeder

airbleeder

Vanguard

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:21 AM

My equipment list is so short that I keep it in my head. I've never forgotten a single piece.

#7 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

My equipment list is so short that I keep it in my head. I've never forgotten a single piece.

+1 same here. One of the good things with a mininalistic or small setup is that it diminishes the mental overload of keeping track of many things.
  • izar187, ShaulaB and airbleeder like this

#8 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:00 AM

Did I hear somebody say Doh? lol.gif

• Tyson M and sanbai like this

#9 BrettG

BrettG

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:20 AM

Had a trip to Nashville planned to meet some friends, and decided to take my AT70ED out for a trial run as a travel scope. I thought I packed very carefully but when I got there, I'd forgotten the plate to attach the scope to.  D'oh.  Lesson learned. Make a list, check it off.  At one point, we had an amazing view of Jupiter, too.  frown.gif

I once drove 8 hours to a star party and left my 18” mirror at home. That is when I learned you can actually enjoy a star party without your own telescope.

D'oh!

I would be so angry with myself.

#10 joelcindyclark

joelcindyclark

Vostok 1

• Loc: The foothills of Mt. Rainier, Washington, USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:57 AM

Forgot my solar filter for my 127mm refractor on my trek from Washington to Wyoming to watch the 2017 solar eclipse. I was grateful I still had my H-alpha, but still.....

• Diana N, ShaulaB and EricSi like this

#11 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:48 AM

In the past I've occasionally forgotten little things like filters, which sometimes make a big difference, unfortunately, depending on the type of observing or imaging you hope to do.

• Diana N likes this

#12 EricSi

EricSi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:16 PM

I have a big box in which I keep all my eyepieces, filters, and other small accessories, including the knobs that connect my 10" Dob to its base. Three or four years ago, I was on my way to a dark sky star party that's a 4 hour drive, and I opened up the box to add a couple spare 9 volt batteries, and somehow left home without the box.

Someone was nice enough to lend me an eyepiece and a couple of spare knobs that were good enough to keep the scope from falling flat but not good enough for the computerized object locator to work. 

That was a really disappointing night, and I will never do that again....

• Diana N likes this

#13 FloridaFocus

FloridaFocus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:48 PM

Just last month, I packed up the suv (or so I thought) and headed to my darksite 2 hours away.

I set up the scope and then went back to the car to grab the eyepiece case. Wait, where's the eyepiece case?

The terrifying thing was that I specifically remembered walking it out to the car along with a few other things.

I called my younger brother who lives with me and asked him to check the driveway. Nothing. That's when I realized I must've left in ON TOP of the suv when I drove off!

I quickly packed up and headed home, my eyes glued to the medians and other shoulder of the road. Nothing.

I kept kicking myself for the next couple days. There's a lot of money invested in the contents of that bag.

A couple days later I got a call from an unknown #. Someone had found my case on the side of the road!

Crazy enough, the only way they knew to contact me was because they found an old, folded over business card of mine in the bag that I'd used as a shim once for my crappy red dot finder. I hated that cheap rdf and had gotten rid of it long before. Turns out it was the most valuable (or at least most fortuitous) piece of Astro equipment I'd ever owned.

Thank you crappy RDF!
  • izar187, DHEB, Katharine and 11 others like this

#14 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:57 PM

Just last month, I packed up the suv (or so I thought) and headed to my darksite 2 hours away.

I set up the scope and then went back to the car to grab the eyepiece case. Wait, where's the eyepiece case?

The terrifying thing was that I specifically remembered walking it out to the car along with a few other things.

I called my younger brother who lives with me and asked him to check the driveway. Nothing. That's when I realized I must've left in ON TOP of the suv when I drove off!

I quickly packed up and headed home, my eyes glued to the medians and other shoulder of the road. Nothing.

I kept kicking myself for the next couple days. There's a lot of money invested in the contents of that bag.

A couple days later I got a call from an unknown #. Someone had found my case on the side of the road!

Crazy enough, the only way they knew to contact me was because they found an old, folded over business card of mine in the bag that I'd used as a shim once for my crappy red dot finder. I hated that cheap rdf and had gotten rid of it long before. Turns out it was the most valuable (or at least most fortuitous) piece of Astro equipment I'd ever owned.

Thank you crappy RDF!

Talk about serendipity! Also a good example good people are still around smile.png

• izar187 and Diana N like this

#15 gcardona

gcardona

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:03 PM

I have a check list for when I go image remotely. Now, if I could only remember where I put it......

• Gregg Carter, Diana N, joelcindyclark and 1 other like this

#16 joelcindyclark

joelcindyclark

Vostok 1

• Loc: The foothills of Mt. Rainier, Washington, USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:52 PM

Thank you crappy RDF!

What a great turn of events. Thanks for sharing that story. What a great example of the good in people, as well as the lesson that even the crappiest things can still sometime serve a great purpose!

• Diana N likes this

#17 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:39 PM

We have all done this. I left my truss poles home, and the drive was too far to drive back and get them. I lost a night of viewing when due to job stress, I really needed one. From that point forward, I followed a checklist, and it never happened again.

• Diana N likes this

#18 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:32 AM

Nah, it's just so highly polished it's invisible.....invisible dob mirrors, only $18,000wink.gif

AND lightweight...!! 

waytogo.gif 

• joelcindyclark likes this

#19 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:28 AM

Went out to the dark site late last fall...

Scope, check 

Eyepieces, check 

Mount/tripod, check 

Accessory case, check 

Chairs and table, check

Warm clothes, check 

Shoes.......house slippers, while comfortable, won't keep your feet warm.....

Edited by csrlice12, 07 August 2021 - 10:30 AM.

• Diana N, joelcindyclark and CeeKay like this

#20 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:02 PM

I'm doing nearly all of my EAA sessions from my backyard nowadays, but I still occasionally forget something like a small battery pack for a dew heater. Fortunately the trip back into the house to get it is pretty quick.

• Diana N and Szumi like this

#21 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:52 PM

It didn't happen to me but...

Two years ago (or was it three?) a friend drove from Beaumont, Tx to TSP. 12 hours at least. Forgot his truss tubes. We told him to not worry as we had more then enough glass. Nope. New scope and he was dying to observe with his pride and joy. Drove back home that day (night). Drove back the next day. Had to get a room along the way. Couldn't go any further. Made it back to TSP on Monday. Had a great time after. 

Not me...

Edited by Keith Rivich, 08 August 2021 - 10:53 PM.

• Diana N likes this

#22 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:51 AM

Everything is in some kind of storage container and the tripod is pretty obvious. The only things that are currently loose are the counterweights for my CEM60. I had to triple check last time to make sure that I did indeed put them in the car. 

• Diana N likes this

#23 jlcop

jlcop

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:05 PM

Spare batteries for Telrad! I meant to throw a pair of AAs with my other spares when I bought it but apparently forgot. I took Telrad out of case and found the switch on.

John

• Diana N likes this

#24 ExploringTheFrontier

ExploringTheFrontier

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:29 PM

Thank you crappy RDF!

Big reminder to me to label my cases with a phone number and email! Good people are out there :)

• Diana N likes this

#25 Alan D. Whitman

Alan D. Whitman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2021 - 02:49 PM

It didn't happen to me but...

Two years ago (or was it three?) a friend drove from Beaumont, Tx to TSP. 12 hours at least. Forgot his truss tubes. We told him to not worry as we had more then enough glass. Nope. New scope and he was dying to observe with his pride and joy. Drove back home that day (night). Drove back the next day. Had to get a room along the way. Couldn't go any further. Made it back to TSP on Monday. Had a great time after. 

Not me...

Must be something about TSP. In 1983 I drove five days from British Columbia to observe the southern sky at TSP, the second TSP. My Meade 8-inch was usually on its original-equipment equatorial mount, but I had also built a Dob mount to use away from home. Since the Dob mount was only used occasionally, I did not attach the altitude bearings directly to the tube. The altitude bearings were attached to squares of plywood, held apart by threaded rods. The tube rings from the equatorial mount were used to attach the tube to the plywood squares. But the equatorial mount lived permanently on the back lawn under tarps, with the tube rings on the mount, hidden under the tarps.

So, when I arrived at TSP I discovered that I was missing the tube rings. Spent the first night roaming from scope to scope. But the next day I wrapped a car blanket tightly around the tube and used the threaded rods to squeeze down onto the car blanket to make a good friction fit. Turned out that the tube would not slip if the tube never raised more than 30 degrees above horizontal. That was not a problem because I didn't go to TSP to observe Cygnus! All of the new objects that I lusted after were within 30 degrees of the horizon anyways, most of them much lower.

Alan Whitman

• izar187 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics