•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

To many Cloudy Nights (literally)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 frich1230

frich1230

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:43 PM

Hi All

I was so looking forward to warmer nights to start serious viewing and photography.  However Mother Nature has not cooperated here in SE North Carolina this summer.

So to advance my skills while I await better weather I'm wondering if there is a website to download un processed images so that I may begin to learn how to use Gimp 

I appreciate your reply

Frank

#2 Maritime

Maritime

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:44 PM

There are “too” many….smile.gif

• Voyager 3 and michael8554 like this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:04 PM

Same issue here but wildfire smoke, clouds, high wind, heat (110+), monsoons, floods ...etc.  Why not get an evaluation copy of Astro Pixel Processor if you find un-processed images.

#4 srpirolt

srpirolt

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:50 PM

Same here in Denver.  Tonight was supposed to be a cloudless night, but the smoke makes it impossible to see anything.

#5 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:14 AM

Folks, let's please remember that there is no astrophotography discussion here in the Beginners forum.

If you want to discuss imaging, please move over to the Beginning Deep Sky Imaging forum, or one of the other imaging forums available.

smp

• ShaulaB likes this

#6 EricSi

EricSi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:03 PM

I wanted to go to my local club's star party tomorrow night, but here is the forecast:

Attached Thumbnails

• Clear Sky chart.jpg

#7 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:10 PM

Its been overcast to one degree or another just about every day since early July. I'm looking at my first clear night tonight with only minimal clouds. Hey at least it got timed with the new moon!

#8 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Viking 1

• Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:40 PM

The month of July was pretty much a bust here in Middle TN with the exception of 2 or 3 nights. Cloudy, hazy, and smoky looking skies was the mainstay for the most part.

#9 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Viking 1

The month of July was pretty much a bust here in Middle TN with the exception of 2 or 3 nights. Cloudy, hazy, and smoky looking skies was the mainstay for the most part.

#10 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Viking 1

#11 Diana N

Diana N

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:30 PM

Welcome to the joys of astronomy!  It’s an ironclad law that the degree of cloudiness is directly correlated with your eagerness to observe and with the rarity of what you are hoping to view.  Hey, if this was an easy hobby everybody would be doing it! ;-)

#12 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

Wow, here I thought it was just Pennsylvania. Was hoping to go out tonight but again...cloudy. Had a few nice nights back in June but July was a bust and August hasn't been any kinder so far. If it's anywhere close to new moon...clouds. Hoping and praying to get a clear night Thursday/Fri for the meteor shower as I always take off work for that. So far the forecast doesn't look promising. I sometimes wonder if this is all worth it considering my work schedule and cloudy PA weather doesn't give me too many options but I still enjoy getting out even if it's only a few nights in the summer. Very frustrating though. 

• Speedy1985 likes this

#13 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:31 PM

Wow, here I thought it was just Pennsylvania. Was hoping to go out tonight but again...cloudy. Had a few nice nights back in June but July was a bust and August hasn't been any kinder so far. If it's anywhere close to new moon...clouds. Hoping and praying to get a clear night Thursday/Fri for the meteor shower as I always take off work for that. So far the forecast doesn't look promising. I sometimes wonder if this is all worth it considering my work schedule and cloudy PA weather doesn't give me too many options but I still enjoy getting out even if it's only a few nights in the summer. Very frustrating though. 

Nope, it's been an abysmal year for us in western Washington as well..Even the nights that are clear seem to mostly have poor seeing.

#14 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:57 PM

Can't remember when we had a clear night and the forecast for the next seven days is clouds and rain.  

#15 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 08 August 2021 - 09:02 PM

Ditto here in NJ. I was ecstatic that after getting my new dob in April, I was able to observe on 3 nights in the first week. I've got maybe 12 nights under my belt total now, but only one short night in the last 7 weeks since mid June. Even on days with no or few clouds, the transparency was just normally bad, or bad from the wildfire smoke. I was so looking forward to the warmer summer months, but mother nature has had other plans. I'm hoping the law of averages kicks in soon and we get a good run of cloudless nights.

#16 DuluthLaker

DuluthLaker

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Duluth, MN

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

Last time I did any observing was July 6. Either clouds, smoke or fog have been all I’ve had since. Really puts a damper on the mood.

No real prospects in the forecast until this weekend, but who knows what the weather will actually be like once that finally rolls around.

#17 NØRU

NØRU

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Near Woodland Park, CO

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:27 PM

Hello, new guy here...but you can blame me for the excessive clouds/haze/you name it.  I've been researching different telescopes and found this site along with many others.  Well a buddy of mine mentioned that he had an old Celestron Ultima 2000 that I could try out before spending any $$$, so I figured "why not".  That day in June has resulted in our rainy season beginning and it really has either been excessively cloudy or hazy here in the foothills near Colorado Springs.  I believe I have had maybe 2 decent evenings to try to use this scope and each night was pretty much a bust.  So over the 4th of July weekend, we visited a friend's property is southern Colorado which usually results in very nice observations.  Of course it rained each night and was mostly cloudy to boot.  This past weekend we made a return trip and had somewhat decent skies on Friday and a much hazier night on Saturday.  Well I was able to see Jupiter each night and Saturn on Sat.  I can only imagine how much better the views would have been without the haze from all the Western wildfires.  I've come to understand that this hobby requires patience and decent viewing areas...I do have a pretty decent shot being on top of a hill at 9,000 feet just north of Pikes Peak.  Now what scope to consider purchasing is another subject line for another time.  I have certainly enjoyed reading many of the forums and appreciate all the advise that is given here, cheers.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics