•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12v power supply for observatory?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:31 PM

I was reading over some old threads concerning recommended 12v power supplies for astronomy equipment. 

Powerwerx, Pyarmid, etc were all recommended. 

So my question is, if I have 120v AC outlets in the observatory, do I plug the 12v power supply in at the wall, run a conduit under the floor to the pier, and then use something like an Andersen power pole at the pier to distribute power to the mount/cooled camera/ASIair (or other mount computer)/dew strips/etc? 

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:45 PM

I used a couple of inexpensive switching power supplies and mounted them inside my wall.

150131 Plot 6 west wall.JPG

You can see my power supplies directly above the big, blue "R Max"...

I had put conduit in the ground before I poured my slab.  After I had the power supplies installed (wired directly to my breaker panel, not "plugged in"), I pulled wire through the conduit to my pier to power my mount.  I use locking XLR connectors, but lots of people use Anderson connectors.

160529 Plot 6 in SE.JPG

After my walls were finished, I used a return air grating to cover my power supplies but still provide access, just in case.

I am now experimenting with a linear power supply, like a Pyramid.  I have been having trouble with Gemini and go-to accuracy and have wondered if noisy power is affecting the controller.  If I decide I get better performance with a linear power supply, I'll install one in the wall and connect it to the wiring to my pier.

Edited by macdonjh, 05 August 2021 - 09:48 PM.

• Taylor and OldManSky like this

#3 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:23 PM

I bought a security system, and among the components were a large power supply, with a lot of 12 volt filtered outlets. (For the cameras.) You might look for one of them. Just for instance here is one:

https://www.amazon.c...821386876&psc=1

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:53 AM

I put the power supply right at the pier.  

Attached Thumbnails

• obscontrolbox.jpg

#5 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:45 PM

Great. Thanks for the pictures you guys.

#6 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:23 PM

I put the power supply right at the pier.  

I thought about doing that, too.  I decided I wanted as much built in as possible to keep my pier and the floor around it as clear as possible.  I did some renovating this spring, here is the inside of my observatory now: 

210612 Plot 6 PIer small.jpg

Oops, I had no idea this photo was so fuzzy.

Edited by macdonjh, 06 August 2021 - 01:23 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#7 decep

decep

Messenger

• Loc: Georgia, US

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:26 PM

I used a couple of inexpensive switching power supplies and mounted them inside my wall.

You can see my power supplies directly above the big, blue "R Max"...

I had put conduit in the ground before I poured my slab.  After I had the power supplies installed (wired directly to my breaker panel, not "plugged in"), I pulled wire through the conduit to my pier to power my mount.  I use locking XLR connectors, but lots of people use Anderson connectors.

After my walls were finished, I used a return air grating to cover my power supplies but still provide access, just in case.

I am now experimenting with a linear power supply, like a Pyramid.  I have been having trouble with Gemini and go-to accuracy and have wondered if noisy power is affecting the controller.  If I decide I get better performance with a linear power supply, I'll install one in the wall and connect it to the wiring to my pier.

Are you monitoring your voltage at the pier?  Not just the no-load voltage, but the voltage under load?

It looks like you have ~30ft (in wire) between the power supply and the pier.  That could lead to not-insignificant voltage drop, maybe as high as 1V.

Edited by decep, 06 August 2021 - 01:28 PM.

#8 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:08 PM

No, I'm not monitoring my voltage.  The wire run is more like ten or twelve feet, not thirty.  I used 12ga wire, but I didn't do a voltage drop calculation.

• OldManSky likes this

#9 epdreher

epdreher

Apollo

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:58 PM

http://www.westmount..._cable_size.php

#10 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:34 PM

No, I'm not monitoring my voltage.  The wire run is more like ten or twelve feet, not thirty.  I used 12ga wire, but I didn't do a voltage drop calculation.

Just measure it. There may be an adjustment to offset losses.   A length if wire can also act like an antenna & pick up noise.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics