•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cartes du Ciel - I never can ID on map the item just searched for

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hernando, FL

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:32 PM

I must be missing something. Its been recommended to use Cartes Du Ciel over Stellarium due to its low overhead.  But, when I do a search for a star or any other space object, I can not see where the item is that has been identified on the map.  How can you guys locate what was just found in a search?  I feel like I'm looking for Waldo.

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:59 AM

CdC will put a highlighted circle on the object you search for...see images below.  It should also center it in the current view, so look dead center first.

If you go into Setup/Display and click on the "Finder rectangle(CCD)" tab, you can add a red FOV indicator, which CdC will also put around the object you just searched for.  That will help you find it.

Below I searched for M38, and you can see the results.

Attached Thumbnails

• ccsearch1.jpg
  • ccsearch2.jpg

• bobharmony, JCT and Gbarr56 like this

#3 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:19 PM

This is just what I'm looking for:

"If you go into Setup/Display and click on the "Finder rectangle(CCD)" tab, you can add a red FOV indicator, which CdC will also put around the object you just searched for."

I see the screen you're referring to but how do I make it highlight in RED?   Do I take N1 and just make it my scope details for FOV?  Do I have to be connected to be able to view the red highlight around the search?

#4 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:38 PM

This is just what I'm looking for:

"If you go into Setup/Display and click on the "Finder rectangle(CCD)" tab, you can add a red FOV indicator, which CdC will also put around the object you just searched for."

I see the screen you're referring to but how do I make it highlight in RED?   Do I take N1 and just make it my scope details for FOV?  Do I have to be connected to be able to view the red highlight around the search?

I'm going by memory so I might be wrong but I think you have to click on the circle to the left to make it turn green. Then click on apply in the lower right of the window.

• OldManSky and Gbarr56 like this

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:22 PM

I'm going by memory so I might be wrong but I think you have to click on the circle to the left to make it turn green. Then click on apply in the lower right of the window.

Yep.

Image below.  The one with the green circle on the left is the active one (click on the circle to turn them on/off).  I used the "compute" button at top right to calculate the actual field of my camera on my Z61 telescope, and then turned it on.  I also have "Mark the centre of the chart" turned on at bottom left.  That'll do it.

Attached Thumbnails

• cdcfinder.jpg

• ad701xx and Gbarr56 like this

#6 Gbarr56

Gbarr56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2021 - 09:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.  Much appreciated.  I have it working now. 

• ad701xx and OldManSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics