I currently have the 12.5mm Nikon NAV-HW, and the 17mm ES92. I really like both, but I'm on the fence about replacing the 17 ES92 with the 17 Nikon NAV-HW.
Some considerations running through my mind (both pros and cons)
1. Nikon is a smidge lighter than the 17 ES92
2. The ability to convert it to 14mm is tempting as there are a couple of targets I feel that 14mm would be more optimal for (magnification/exit pupil balance)
3. The Nikon cannot be optimized in the Paracorr 2.
4. The immersion of the 17 ES92's wide field and eye relief is hard to beat, though the 12.5 NAV-HW comes real close (I do not use glasses when looking through eyepieces)
What I'd like know from anyone who has done a comparison:
1. Which eyepiece did you feel was more immersive and comfortable? If you switched from the ES92 to the Nikon, did you feel you lost anything in the translation?
2. Which eyepiece did you feel offered better overall clarity (contrast, sharpness etc)?
3. If you do have a Paracorr'd newt, did you find the lack of optimum Paracorr setting to be troublesome?
Note that the 17 Ethos is not on my radar. I like my Ethos, but I don't find them anywhere near as comfortable or immersive as the NAV-HW or ES92.
Edited by CrazyPanda, 05 August 2021 - 09:35 PM.